Finding electric potential using charge density

In summary, electric potential is a measure of electric potential energy per unit charge and is directly related to charge density. The formula for calculating electric potential using charge density is V = kQ/r, where V is electric potential, k is Coulomb's constant, Q is charge, and r is distance from the source of charge. The unit of electric potential is volts (V) and the unit of charge density is coulombs per cubic meter (C/m^3). The electric potential decreases as distance from the source of charge increases due to its inverse proportionality. Charge density can be negative in cases where there is an excess of negative charge, but is mostly positive in objects with an excess of positive charge.
AMMax

Homework Statement

a 5 cm radius conducting sphere has a charge density of 2x10^-6 C/m^2 on its surface. Its electric potential, relative to the potential far away is?

Homework Equations

I used V= K(q/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equation I got 1.12 x 10^4. This seems too easy. I think I am missing something here.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not missing anything. It is that easy.

1. What is electric potential and how is it related to charge density?

Electric potential is the measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. It is directly related to charge density, which is the amount of charge per unit volume at a given point. The higher the charge density, the higher the electric potential will be in that region.

2. How can I calculate the electric potential using charge density?

To calculate the electric potential using charge density, you can use the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the source of the charge. This formula is derived from the definition of electric potential energy.

3. What are the units of electric potential and charge density?

The unit of electric potential is volts (V), while the unit of charge density is coulombs per cubic meter (C/m^3). However, in some cases, charge density can also be measured in coulombs per square meter (C/m^2).

4. How does the electric potential change with distance from the source of charge?

The electric potential decreases as the distance from the source of charge increases. This is because the electric potential is inversely proportional to the distance from the source, as seen in the formula V = kQ/r. This means that as the distance increases, the electric potential will decrease.

5. Can the charge density be negative?

Yes, the charge density can be negative. This occurs when there is an excess of negative charge in a given region, resulting in a negative charge density. However, in most cases, charge density is positive, as the majority of objects have an excess of positive charge.