1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding expectation values

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    I want to find <x> and ,<x^2>, <p>, and <p^2> of a particle in an infinite well where:
    [tex]V(x)=0, \frac{-a}{4}<x<\frac{3a}{4}[/tex]

Using the usual method, I found the wavefunction to be:
    [tex]\psi(x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin[\frac{n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})][/tex]

I also found:
    [tex]<x>=\frac{2}{a}\int_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}}xsin^2[\frac{n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})]dx=\frac{a}{4}[/tex]

<x^2> is where I encounter the 1st problem. Here's my attempt:
    [tex]<x^2>=\frac{2}{a}\int_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}}x^2sin^2[\frac{n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})]dx[/tex]
    Using by parts I let:
    [tex]u=x^2[/tex]
    [tex] du=2xdx[/tex]
    [tex]dv=sin^2[\frac{n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})]dx[/tex]
    [tex]v=\frac{x}{2}-\frac{a}{2n\pi}sin[\frac{n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})]cos[\frac{n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})]=\frac{x}{2}-\frac{a}{4n\pi}sin[\frac{2n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})][/tex]
    (double angle formula used)

[tex]<x^2>=uv-\int vdu=\frac{2}{a}\left [ \left ((x^2)(\frac{x}{2}-\frac{a}{4n\pi}sin[\frac{2n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})]) \right )_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}} -\int_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}}2x(\frac{x}{2}-\frac{a}{4n\pi}sin[\frac{2n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})])dx\right ][/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{2}{a}\left [ \frac{27a^3}{128}-\frac{-a^3}{128}-\int_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}}x^3dx+\frac{a}{4n\pi}\int_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}}2xsin[\frac{2n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})])dx\right ][/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{2}{a}\left [ \frac{7a^3}{32}-\frac{5a^4}{64}+\frac{a}{2n\pi}\left ( \frac{a^2}{4n^2\pi^2}sin[\frac{2n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})])-\frac{a}{2n\pi}xcos[\frac{2n\pi}{a}(x+\frac{a}{4})])\right )_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}}\right ][/tex]
    Sine term vanishes at both limits while cosine term as 1 at both limits:
    [tex]=\frac{2}{a}\left [ \frac{7a^3}{32}-\frac{5a^4}{64}+\frac{a}{2n\pi}\left ( \frac{-3a^2}{8n\pi}+\frac{a^2}{8n\pi} \right )\right ]=\frac{7a^2}{16}-\frac{a^2}{4n^2\pi^2}-\frac{5a^3}{32}=\frac{a^2(7n^2\pi^2-4)}{16n^2\pi^2}-\frac{5a^3}{32}[/tex]

This is obviously wrong since the units don't add up/ How can there be a^2 and a^3 at the same time? I spend hours checking and still can't find my mistake.

I plug the equation into a graphic calculator, I think the answer should be:
    [tex]\frac{a^2(7n^2\pi^2-24)}{64n^2\pi^2}[/tex]

Now, for <p>, can I just have:
    [tex]<p>=m\frac{d<x>}{dt}=m\frac{d}{dt}\frac{a}{4}=0[/tex]
    Is this alright or do I have to plug the operator in and integrate?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2
    I think I spot your mistake: from the line in <x^2>=.... in the integral you pass from
    [itex]\int_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}}2x(\frac{x}{2})dx[/itex] in the firs line to [itex]\int_{\frac{-a}{4}}^{\frac{3a}{4}}x^3dx[/itex] in the second one

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook