Finding Flaws in General Relativity: A Question of Knowledge

In summary, the conversation is about a thread discussing flaws in General Relativity, with one person expressing skepticism and asking for further explanation. The thread is then closed due to an influx of "crackpot" contributors on the topic. However, there is still ongoing research and funding for experiments attempting to disprove relativity.
cordless03
This thread is supposed to be about finding flaws in General Relativity, but the way these people talk they sound like they have no real knowledge of GR. I was just curious if any of you guys could explain further.

Attachments

• Is Any Effective Refutation of Einstein’s Theories of Relativity Possible?.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 453
Physics news on Phys.org
cordless03 said:
This thread is supposed to be about finding flaws in General Relativity, but the way these people talk they sound like they have no real knowledge of GR. I was just curious if any of you guys could explain further.
I only got through the first paragraph before the mixture of conspiracy theory and crackpottery overcame me. I doubt it gets significantly better after that.

Likes cordless03
cordless03 said:
I was just curious if any of you guys could explain further.

Other than the answers "no" and "yes" to the two questions you ask in the title of this thread, there's not going to be much we can offer. We can't presume to explain why cranks are cranks.

Likes russ_watters and cordless03
ResearchGate has become entirely overrun with crackpots. It no longer holds any value.

In fact, there has been a recent resurgence in high precision tests looking for violations of relativity. There are several theories that predict violations at high energy in the search for a quantum theory of gravity. So it is not at all the case that no funding is given to experiments attempting to disprove relativity.

Likes FactChecker and cordless03

1. What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how objects with mass interact with each other and how they affect the fabric of space and time.

2. What are some common flaws in General Relativity?

Some common flaws in General Relativity include the inability to explain the behavior of black holes, the existence of singularities, and the incompatibility with quantum mechanics.

3. How do scientists search for flaws in General Relativity?

Scientists search for flaws in General Relativity by conducting experiments and making observations that challenge the predictions of the theory. They also use mathematical models and simulations to test the theory's predictions.

4. Why is it important to find flaws in General Relativity?

It is important to find flaws in General Relativity because it is one of the fundamental theories in physics and plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. Finding flaws can lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of gravity and the nature of space and time.

5. Has General Relativity been proven wrong?

No, General Relativity has not been proven wrong. It has been extensively tested and has accurately predicted the behavior of gravity in numerous experiments and observations. However, it is still an incomplete theory and scientists continue to search for flaws and improvements to further our understanding of the universe.