Question on Phenomena beyond General Relativity

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of singularities in relation to general relativity and the structure of the universe. The speaker is seeking suggestions and information about singularities beyond black holes and is curious about different types of singularities and corresponding theories. The expert responds by stating that singularities are not beyond GR and are actually a standard prediction of it. They also mention different types of singularities, such as those observed in the big bang and those discussed in the cosmic censorship hypothesis. The expert gives some examples of singularities and their theories and offers further guidance on how to research this topic.
Harry Wang
Hello, I'm Harry.
I'm new here, hope not breaking any posting rules in any ways :)

I have a question and would like to ask for some suggestions and information.
The question is about general relativity or gravity and structure of the Universe in general; I know there are definitely quite a few phenomenons that is beyond GR's explanation, however I'm specially curious about singularities in spacetime from the research projects I'm currently under.

Due to GR's dependence on manifold, there's seems to be not much freedom to talk about singularities. Yet there probably are phenomenons beyond black holes that are also singularities, however I don't know their names and corresponding theories due to lack of background knowledge, leading me asking for a favor, if there is such phenomenon could you name it for me? And if you know the corresponding theory, would you also name it for me?

I would make further research on my own because I don't want to sound like a lazy douche :P
However I need some help on the keywords and direction which I should look for, so it would be wonderful if someone would give me some hints on these. Thanks a lot!

Your, truly

Physics news on Phys.org
Singularities are not phenomena "beyond general relativity." They are a standard prediction of GR. The fact that GR doesn't describe a singularity as a point-set doesn't mean that GR can't talk about them. It can.

Black hole singularities are not the only type of singularity in GR, or even the only type we observe in our universe. The big bang was a singularity. Naked singularities (cf. timelike singularities) are the subject of the cosmic censorship hypothesis. GR also allows non-curvature singularities, such as the ones that occur in some Taub-NUT spacetimes.

Likes Harry Wang
bcrowell said:
Singularities are not phenomena "beyond general relativity." They are a standard prediction of GR. The fact that GR doesn't describe a singularity as a point-set doesn't mean that GR can't talk about them. It can.

Black hole singularities are not the only type of singularity in GR, or even the only type we observe in our universe. The big bang was a singularity. Naked singularities (cf. timelike singularities) are the subject of the cosmic censorship hypothesis. GR also allows non-curvature singularities, such as the ones that occur in some Taub-NUT spacetimes.
Thank you sir bcrowell ! And thanks for putting up my naive words due to lacking of GR knowledge:P

Related to Question on Phenomena beyond General Relativity

1. What is the difference between General Relativity and Phenomena beyond General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity that describes the relationship between matter and the curvature of spacetime. Phenomena beyond General Relativity refer to observations or effects that cannot be explained by the principles of General Relativity and may require new theories or modifications to existing ones.

2. Can you give an example of a phenomenon beyond General Relativity?

There are several phenomena that have been observed that cannot be explained by General Relativity, such as the accelerated expansion of the universe, the existence of dark matter, and the behavior of objects near the event horizon of a black hole.

3. How do scientists study phenomena beyond General Relativity?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study phenomena beyond General Relativity, including observations from telescopes and satellites, experiments with particle accelerators, and mathematical models and simulations.

4. Is the search for phenomena beyond General Relativity important?

Yes, the search for phenomena beyond General Relativity is crucial for advancing our understanding of the universe and developing new theories to explain complex phenomena. These phenomena may also have practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies.

5. Are there any current theories that attempt to explain phenomena beyond General Relativity?

Yes, there are several theories that have been proposed to explain phenomena beyond General Relativity, such as string theory, loop quantum gravity, and modified gravity theories. However, these theories are still being tested and refined, and there is currently no consensus on which theory is the most accurate.