Finding the Fresnel coefficients from interface conditions

In summary, the conversation revolved around understanding how to write the limit conditions for an interface in a problem involving an incident electric field and two cases of polarization. The goal was to correctly apply the limit conditions in order to find the Fresnel formulas for the amplitudes of the reflected and refracted electric fields. The conditions involved equations such as E2-E1=0 and D2-D1=sigma, and the person was looking for clarification on where these conditions come from and how to ensure they are written correctly. The conversation ended with the person mentioning another post on thermodynamics for which they were seeking help before an upcoming exam.
Cathr
I'm studying for an exam (so this is existential) and I never really got how to write the limit conditions for an interface.

In my problem, there is an incident electric field, and there are two cases:
1) the field is polasised perpendicularly to the incidence plane (TE)
2) polarised in the plane (TM)

Here I must be able to correctly apply the limit conditions, to find the Fresnel formulas that give the amplitudes of the electric fields Er (reflected), Et (refracted) as a function of: Ei (incident field amplitude), ai (I meant so say alpha i, the angle of incidence) and ar (angle of refraction) and the constants that caracterise the environment for the two polarisations TE and TM.

The conditions are like E2-E1=0 or D2-D1=sigma (surface charge between media - how do we know there's any??) etc. I would like to know where they come from and how to be sure I'm writing them correctly and what they imply. Many many thanks in advance!

Sorry if my english doesn't quite fit your expectations. Eagerly waiting for your responses, if something's not clear please ask.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

I think it might be helpful if you post the full problem with all possible pictures of the scenario you are talking about.

BPHH85 said:
Hi

I think it might be helpful if you post the full problem with all possible pictures of the scenario you are talking about.

I already found a solution, thank you! I might as well delete the thread. But, if you don't mind, please look at my other post on thermodynamics. I have an exam tomorrow and I would be really grateful if someone could help!

1. What are Fresnel coefficients?

Fresnel coefficients are mathematical values used to describe the behavior of light at the interface between two materials with different refractive indices. They determine the amount of light that is reflected and transmitted at the interface.

2. How are Fresnel coefficients calculated?

Fresnel coefficients can be calculated using the Fresnel equations, which take into account the angle of incidence and the refractive indices of the two materials. These equations can be solved to determine the values of the coefficients.

3. Why are Fresnel coefficients important?

Fresnel coefficients are important because they help us understand and predict how light will behave at the interface between two materials. They are used in a variety of applications, such as optics, telecommunications, and materials science.

4. Can Fresnel coefficients be measured experimentally?

Yes, Fresnel coefficients can be measured experimentally using techniques such as ellipsometry or reflectance spectroscopy. These methods involve measuring the amount of light reflected and transmitted at the interface and using this data to calculate the coefficients.

5. Are Fresnel coefficients affected by the angle of incidence?

Yes, Fresnel coefficients are affected by the angle of incidence. As the angle of incidence increases, the amount of light that is reflected and transmitted at the interface will change, resulting in different values for the coefficients.