1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding g,time,&height with magnitude of velocity

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    Your spaceship lands on an unknown planet. To determine the local value of g , you ask a steel-toed crew member to kick a stone, and you find that if she kicks it at 18.0 m/s at various angles, the maximum range she can achieve is 34.8 m .
    What is g (m/s)? time (s)? and height (m)?

I decided to use the knowledge of velocity given. Vox= Vocos[tex]\theta[/tex]
    I also knew that at 45° maximum distance may be achieved. However, I never did a problem with these unknowns in my physics class so I feel lost as to how to solve it. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2
    I have worked through some problem solving methods that I think I need to go through to get to the next steps. I know that I need to solve for acceleration but I'm unsure as to how to do that with the equation y= yo+voyt+1/2at². Once I get the acceleration I believe I can just divide that figure by 9.8m/s² to get the value of g on the planet. Any suggestions are more than appreciated.

Thanks a ton!

4. Sep 22, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Kyle! :smile:
    uhh? :confused:

the acceleration is the value of g on the planet. :wink:

Find it (using 45º) by finding t for which y = 0, then find the a for which x = 34.8 at that value of t. :smile:

5. Sep 22, 2009 #4
    g= Vo^2sin(2a)/R ? Does that make sense for an equation finding g?

6. Sep 23, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you mean g = v02sin2θ/R? How did you get that?

(btw, remember sin45º = 1/√2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook