Finding golf balls in the rough (ultrasonic idea)

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for finding golf balls in the rough, including image processing, UV light detection, and ultrasonic systems. The main focus is on the latter idea and there is a question about the effectiveness of using ultrasound to detect golf balls compared to grass. The possibility of using UV light is also mentioned, but there is concern about interference from sunlight.
MIMSAR
Hi,

I'm trying to design a solution to the problem of finding golf balls in the rough. I've had a few thoughts so far:
- Image processing to detect white objects in a predominantly green environment
- UV light emitter and detector to take advantage of fluoresence of the whitening coating of the ball
- Ultrasonic system to detect solid objects in grass, followed by profiling to determine shape

I expect the system should be portable so golfers can scan the grass as they walk and receive some feedback when a ball is found.

My main focus is on the latter idea and I was wondering if anyone with any experience of ultrasound knew if this was possible. Would, perhaps, the solid ball reflect ultrasound waves more strongly than a clump of grass? Once I've established if this works I can (attempt to) devise a system to ID a ball from any other solid object.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe ultrasound requires a certain density medium to effectively travel through and get a response. Although the transmitter/emitter is probably adjustable...

This is just an assumption based on the ultrasound probes used to check out fetus's (feti?) shape and size during pregnancy.

I also like the idea of the UV light emitter, but I have a feeling the sunlight could pose a problem when trying to detect reflected UV light, maybe not once again, I'm no expert but I hope it helps.

Related to Finding golf balls in the rough (ultrasonic idea)

What is the ultrasonic idea for finding golf balls in the rough?

The ultrasonic idea for finding golf balls in the rough involves using ultrasonic sensors and technology to detect and locate golf balls hidden in the rough on a golf course.

How does the ultrasonic idea work?

The ultrasonic idea works by emitting high-frequency sound waves from the sensors, which bounce off objects in their path and return to the sensors. By analyzing the time it takes for the waves to return, the sensors can determine the distance and location of objects, including golf balls in the rough.

What are the benefits of using ultrasonic technology for finding golf balls in the rough?

Using ultrasonic technology can greatly improve the efficiency and accuracy of finding golf balls in the rough. It can cover a larger area in a shorter amount of time and can differentiate between golf balls and other objects, reducing the chances of false readings.

Are there any limitations to the ultrasonic idea for finding golf balls in the rough?

There are some limitations to using ultrasonic technology for finding golf balls in the rough. The sensors may have difficulty detecting golf balls that are buried deep in the rough or covered by heavy vegetation. Additionally, weather conditions such as rain or wind can affect the accuracy of the readings.

Is the ultrasonic idea for finding golf balls in the rough currently being used?

Yes, the ultrasonic idea for finding golf balls in the rough is currently being used by some golf courses and companies. It is still a relatively new technology, so its use may not be widespread yet, but it has shown promising results in improving the efficiency and success rate of finding lost golf balls in the rough.