1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding heat transfer coefficient experimentally

1. Jul 14, 2010 #1
    I'm working on a project where I have to construct a cubic box, then find the heat transfer coefficient through the box. I will be placing various object in the box to run tests on how they change the eat transfer coefficient. If I want to use the equation: Q=h*A*delta-T, how do I find Q, the heat transfer rate?

I'm thinking I will have thermocouples on the outside surface and on object on the inside of the box. I'll treat all the space in between as a single resistance, since I'm not worried about the heat transfer coefficient with respect to convection, radiation, or conduction, but rather the overall coefficient.

If I got the data for the outside temperature and the inside temperature and plotted that vs. time, would the Q just be the difference divided by the time of that difference?

Once I get Q, then solving for h should be simple.

I've also seen heat flux sensors, but those are expensive and I think and hope they are unnecessary.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2010 #2
    How are you supplying heat?

4. Jul 21, 2010 #3
    I'm putting the entire system in an enclosed environmental chamber.

I'm just going to plot temp/time and take the derivative to find Q. I'm all set. I'm getting ready to build.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook