1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding height of image for a concave mirror

1. Nov 21, 2005 #1
    Ok, theres something I just don't understand. I know that to find the height of an image (hi), you need to use the magnification equation m = -di/do = hi/ho. And for this question, the focal length (f), distance of object (do), and distance of image (di) are given. Now, if I want to find the height of the image (hi), I would need the height of the object (ho) to finish the equation, but I don't, so now I'm stumpted on what to do with this question.

I know 'hi = -diho/do' is the equation but if I don't have ho, than how can I find hi.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Edited, misinterpretation.

I don't believe you can find the height of the image without the height of the object. The focal length and a given object distance will determind the image distance. No other focused distance is possible. We cannot arbitrarily choose some image distance.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?