1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding integrals of the product of trig functions

1. Jun 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've come across integrals of exponential and trig functions and I have no idea how to do them. Integration by parts doesn't really work because they just derive into either e or another trig function.

One of them is [itex]\int[/itex]sin(a)*sin(b - a)da
    Another is [itex]\int[/itex]e(a)*sin(a)da

2. Relevant equations
    sin(x + y) =sinx(cosy) + siny(cosx)
    cos(x + y) = cosx(cosy) - sinx(siny)
    sin^2(x) = (1 - cos2x)/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried to use the trig identity for sin(b-a), but that just gives an extremely long sin and cos statement that doesn't help. the one with e is even more confusing. How am I supposed to manually solve them?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2011 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

For the second problem, let

[tex]I = \int e^{a} sin(a) da[/tex]

Then integrate the right side by parts twice, and note that you get, as your integral, I. From there, just solve for I.

4. Jun 21, 2011 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Another trick for integrating integrals like ∫exsin(x)dx is to instead do the integral ∫exeixdx =∫e(1+i)xdx as a simple exponential. Rationalize the result and note your original integral is the imaginary part. This avoids two integrations by parts and gives you the ∫excos(x)dx from the real part as a free bonus.

5. Jun 21, 2011 #4
    thanks for the replies, found the answers. i just didn't go far enough with the identities and integration by parts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook