How Do You Calculate Ionization Energies for Different Shells in X-ray Spectra?

In summary: So when you tried to round off the final energy to 2.5 keV, the program didn't recognize that and gave you the incorrect answer of 2.2 keV.
NewSoul

Homework Statement

The K series of the discrete x-ray spectrum of tungsten contains wavelengths of 0.018 5 nm, 0.020 9 nm, and 0.021 5 nm. The K-shell ionization energy is 69.5 keV.
(a) Determine the ionization energies of the L, M, and N shells.

Homework Equations

[tex]E=\frac{hc}{\lambda}
\\E_{n}=-\frac{(13.6\textrm{ eV})Z_\textrm{eff}^2}{n^2}
\\1\textrm{ eV}=1.6\textrm{E-19 J}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I correctly determined the ionization energies for the L and M subshells (11.7 and 10.0 keV respectively. However, I am calculating the value for the N subshell in the exact same way, but my homework tells me the answer is incorrect.

Here are my calculations for the L shell...
[itex]\lambda[/itex] of L =.0215E-9 m
[tex]E_\textrm{KL}=\frac{(6.63\textrm{E-34})(3\textrm{E8})}{.0215\textrm{E-9}}=9.25\textrm{E-15 J}=57800\textrm{ eV}=57.8\textrm{ keV}\\
E_\textrm{L}=69.5-57.8=11.7\textrm{ keV}[/tex]
I did the same calculations to find the ionization energy for subshell M of 10.0 keV. Both of these answers were correct.

For N, I'm doing the exact same thing again and winding up with what my online homework says to be the wrong answer. I do not know the correct answer.

My work for N...
[tex]E_\textrm{KN}=\frac{(6.63\textrm{E-34})(3\textrm{E8})}{.0185\textrm{E-9}}=1.08\textrm{E-14 J}=672800\textrm{ eV}=67.2\textrm{ keV}\\
E_\textrm{N}=69.5-67.2=2.3\textrm{ keV}[/tex]
It says my answer is close, but incorrect. I also tried 2.4 in case of a round off error, but that was also wrong. I'm not sure what's up.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NewSoul said:
[tex]E_\textrm{N}=\frac{(6.63\textrm{E-34})(3\textrm{E8})}{.0185\textrm{E-9}}=1.08\textrm{E-14 J}=672800\textrm{ eV}=67.2\textrm{ keV}[/tex]
Wouldn't 67.3 be closer? That would give 2.2 as the answer.
Btw, is your notation right? Compared with what I would have expected, you seem to have interchanged EKL with EL and EKN with EN.

haruspex said:
Wouldn't 67.3 be closer? That would give 2.2 as the answer.
Btw, is your notation right? Compared with what I would have expected, you seem to have interchanged EKL with EL and EKN with EN.

Whoops, I do have those two switched!

2.2 didn't work either. I honestly have no idea what the problem is. Nothing obvious, eh?

Use more significant digits in the constants h, c, e: c=2.998 E8, h=6.628 E-34, 1eV=1.602 E-19 J. Do not round the results for the photon energies. Round off at the end.

ehild

ehild said:
Use more significant digits in the constants h, c, e: c=2.998 E8, h=6.628 E-34, 1eV=1.602 E-19 J. Do not round the results for the photon energies. Round off at the end.

ehild

Thanks. To be safe, I went to 9 significant figures and ended up with the apparently correct answer of 2.5 keV. I just don't understand why it wouldn't accept my other answer. We've been using this online program for a while now and it has always been fine when I don't use that many significant figures for the constants.

NewSoul said:
Thanks. To be safe, I went to 9 significant figures and ended up with the apparently correct answer of 2.5 keV. I just don't understand why it wouldn't accept my other answer. We've been using this online program for a while now and it has always been fine when I don't use that many significant figures for the constants.
The problem here is that in the working you had to take the difference of two numbers of similar magnitude. That resulted in one less (in fact, 1.5 less) significant figure of precision than you started with.

1. What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule, resulting in the formation of an ion.

2. How is ionization energy measured?

Ionization energy is typically measured in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) or electron volts (eV). It can also be represented in terms of frequency or wavelength of light required to remove an electron, known as the photoionization energy.

3. What factors affect ionization energy?

The main factors that affect ionization energy include the atomic or molecular structure, the number of protons in the nucleus, and the distance between the electron and the nucleus. Other factors such as the electron configuration and shielding effect also play a role.

4. Why does ionization energy increase across a period in the periodic table?

Ionization energy generally increases across a period in the periodic table because of the increasing nuclear charge and decreasing atomic radius. This makes it more difficult to remove an electron from the atom, resulting in a higher ionization energy.

5. How is ionization energy used in chemistry and physics?

Ionization energy is an important concept in chemistry and physics as it helps us understand the behavior of atoms and molecules. It is used to predict the reactivity of elements, determine the stability of ions, and explain the formation of chemical bonds. In physics, ionization energy is used to study the properties of matter and to analyze the spectra of different elements.