Finding K in a two spring system.

  • Thread starter Thread starter youknow789
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Spring System
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
youknow789
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I did a lab experiment this past week and not sure how to determine k for a two spring system. We had an object on a frictionless surface and attached one spring on each side. I was able able to determine the spring constant for both springs individually but not sure how to determine the k for both springs acting together.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Was thinking force= kx so k for both springs could I do force= K1x-K2x. K1 is spring constant for spring on the left. X is positive since the spring is elongating. K2 is the spring attached on the left side of the glider. X is negative because the spring is compression. Am I on the right path?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To be more clear. I have the value for k for each spring and both springs working together. I curious in finding how the two individual spring constants relate to the spring constant of the two spring system.
 
They should add. What values of k did you get for each situation?
 
Makes sense the K are added. Think I over thought it . I can imagine the two springs as one spring once they are connected to the glider. The x wouldn't be negative for K2 since it one spring. X would just be the distance the glider moves from equilibrium. force=(k1+k2)*x

for two springs system I got k= 7.9000
left spring k= 3.655
right spring k= 3.828

So if I add it together it is roughly close to where I should be. The springs were pretty crappy so it was tough to get a constant k with them the more you used them. Please let me know if this thought pattern is correct.
 
Yeah I mean if you pull the object one direction it is pushed by one spring in one direction and and pulled in that same direction by the other spring.