Finding latent heat of vaporisation as a function of temperature

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 10K views
Saitama
Messages
4,244
Reaction score
93

Homework Statement


The vapour pressure of a certain liquid is given by the equation:
[tex]\log_{10}P=3.54595-\frac{313.7}{T}+1.40655\log_{10}T[/tex]
where ##P## is the vapour pressure in mm and T is temperature in kelvin. Determine the molar latent heat of vapourisation as a function of temperature. Calculate its value at 80 K.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I am really clueless about where to start. The liquid vapourises at a temperature when its vapour pressure is equal to the atmospheric pressure. I can calculate the boiling point from here but I don't think that would help here as I need molar latent heat of vapourisation as a function of temperature.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement


The vapour pressure of a certain liquid is given by the equation:
[tex]\log_{10}P=3.54595-\frac{313.7}{T}+1.40655\log_{10}T[/tex]
where ##P## is the vapour pressure in mm and T is temperature in kelvin. Determine the molar latent heat of vapourisation as a function of temperature. Calculate its value at 80 K.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I am really clueless about where to start. The liquid vapourises at a temperature when its vapour pressure is equal to the atmospheric pressure. I can calculate the boiling point from here but I don't think that would help here as I need molar latent heat of vapourisation as a function of temperature.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

A liquid boils at the temperature at which its equilibrium vapor pressure is equal to atmospheric pressure. It is capable of vaporizing at temperatures below the boiling point, in which case its partial pressure in the gas phase is less than or equal to the equilibrium vapor pressure. The equilibrium vapor pressure is a function of temperature. We know that liquids evaporate at temperatures below the boiling point because, if we leave a small bowl of water out, it will eventually evaporate.

Now for the equation you presented. Look up the Clausius-Clapeyron equation in your physical chemistry or thermo book, or google it on the internet. You can use this equation to calculate the heat of vaporization from the relationship between the equilibrium vapor pressure and the temperature.
 
Chestermiller said:
A liquid boils at the temperature at which its equilibrium vapor pressure is equal to atmospheric pressure. It is capable of vaporizing at temperatures below the boiling point, in which case its partial pressure in the gas phase is less than or equal to the equilibrium vapor pressure. The equilibrium vapor pressure is a function of temperature. We know that liquids evaporate at temperatures below the boiling point because, if we leave a small bowl of water out, it will eventually evaporate.

Now for the equation you presented. Look up the Clausius-Clapeyron equation in your physical chemistry or thermo book, or google it on the internet. You can use this equation to calculate the heat of vaporization from the relationship between the equilibrium vapor pressure and the temperature.

I checked the Clausius-Clapeyron equation on wikipedia.
[tex]\frac{dP}{dT}=\frac{L}{T\Delta v}[/tex]
But how am I supposed to find ##\Delta v## here? :confused:
 
Pranav-Arora said:
I checked the Clausius-Clapeyron equation on wikipedia.
[tex]\frac{dP}{dT}=\frac{L}{T\Delta v}[/tex]
But how am I supposed to find ##\Delta v## here? :confused:

This is a good start, but, with all due respect to Wikipedia, this is not the Clausius-Clapeyron equation. This is the Clapeyron equation. The Clausius-Clapeyron makes two additional assumptions:
1. The molar volume of the liquid is much less than the molar volume of the vapor
2. The vapor can be treated as an ideal gas.

When these additional assumptions are made, one obtains:
[tex]\frac{dP}{dT}=\frac{Lp}{RT^2}[/tex]

or, equivalently,
[tex]\frac{d\ln{P}}{d(1/T)}=-\frac{L}{R}[/tex]
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davidbenari
Chestermiller said:
or, equivalently,
[tex]\frac{d\ln{P}}{d(1/T)}=-\frac{L}{R}[/tex]

I don't see how would I get the ##log_{10} T## term.
Solving,
[tex]\ln P=\frac{-L}{RT}+C[/tex]
where C is some constant.
 
Pranav-Arora said:
I don't see how would I get the ##log_{10} T## term.
Solving,
[tex]\ln P=\frac{-L}{RT}+C[/tex]
where C is some constant.

You can't integrate it this way because L is a function of T. You have to get L directly from the differential equation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Chestermiller said:
You can't integrate it this way because L is a function of T. You have to get L directly from the differential equation.

Thank you! That worked. :smile:
 
cc copy.jpg
 
Attachments
  • cc copy.jpg
    cc copy.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 5,533
Not to mention the fact posting full solutions is in general against forum rules.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Chestermiller