Finding limit of trig equation(not sure if I should differentiate)

In summary, the conversation is about solving a limit problem involving a trigonometric function. The suggested methods include using L'Hopital's rule or making a substitution to simplify the expression. However, it is also noted that this limit can be evaluated without using L'Hopital's rule by using the definition of the derivative of cosine at the given point.
rectifryer

Homework Statement

Lim (cosθ-√3/2)/(θ-[itex]pi[/itex]/6)
θ→[itex]pi[/itex]/6

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at this has been to try to multiply both the numerator and denominator by either the numerator's or denominator's conjugate. both result in 0 at the denominator.

I also factored out θ from the numerator and denominator but that still results in a 0 for the denominator.

Am I supposed to be able to differentiate this? It doesn't seem possible. How am I supposed to solve this?

Thanks in advance guys. Sorry if this is in the wrong format.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I use L'Hopital's rule then it comes out with the right answer, however, my teacher hasn't covered this rule and I don't think we are supposed to use it.

Your limit appears to be:
[tex]\lim_{\theta \to \pi/6} \frac{\cos \theta - \sqrt{3}/2}{\theta - \pi /6}=\frac{0}{0}[/tex]which is an indeterminate form. You have to use L'Hopital's rule to evaluate this limit. If your teacher hasn't covered this yet, then you should give the answer in its indeterminate form.

Thanks for writing that out in latex. I have bookmarked your sig haha.

I will email my teacher. We are doing problems in MathXL and there seems to be some disconnects from what it asks and what the teacher appears to have asked.

It's very possible to do this without l'Hôpital's rule. If you have a trig limit like this where the denominator is something like θ - π/6, try a substitution like x = θ - π/6 to make the denominator just a variable, and you also change the value used under the limit.
[tex]\text{Let }x = \theta - \frac{\pi}{6} \Longrightarrow \theta = x + \frac{\pi}{6}[/tex][tex]\text{As } \theta\to\frac{\pi}{6}, x\to 0[/tex][tex]\lim_{\theta \to \pi/6} \frac{\cos \theta - \sqrt{3}/2}{\theta - \pi /6} = \lim_{x\to 0}\frac{\cos(x + \pi/6) - \sqrt{3}/2}{x}[/tex]Expand cos(x + π/6) and use the limits for (cosx - 1)/x and sinx/x as x→0 when working out the new limit expression.

sharks said:
Your limit appears to be:
[tex]\lim_{\theta \to \pi/6} \frac{\cos \theta - \sqrt{3}/2}{\theta - \pi /6}=\frac{0}{0}[/tex]which is an indeterminate form. You have to use L'Hopital's rule to evaluate this limit. If your teacher hasn't covered this yet, then you should give the answer in its indeterminate form.
You do not have to use L'Hôpital's rule to evaluate this.

However, you may use L'Hôpital's rule (if only you teacher would allow it.)

Follow Bohrok's suggestion.

Incredible. Thanks a lot everyone!

It looks like the definition of derivative of cos at pi over 6. So negative sin at pi over 6, which is -1/2

algebrat said:
It looks like the definition of derivative of cos at pi over 6. So negative sin at pi over 6, which is -1/2

Good point !

1. What is the purpose of finding the limit of a trig equation?

The limit of a trigonometric equation helps us understand the behavior of the function as the input approaches a certain value. It can also help us solve problems involving rates of change and continuity.

2. How do I know if I should differentiate the trig equation before finding the limit?

If the trigonometric equation involves a variable in the denominator or if it is in an indeterminate form, then differentiation may be necessary to find the limit. Otherwise, it is not necessary and may complicate the calculation.

3. Can I use L'Hopital's rule to find the limit of a trig equation?

Yes, L'Hopital's rule can be applied to find the limit of a trigonometric equation if it is in an indeterminate form. However, it is important to check if the conditions for applying this rule are met.

4. Do I need to consider the unit circle when finding the limit of a trig equation?

If the trigonometric equation involves trigonometric functions, then it is helpful to consider the unit circle to understand the behavior of the function as the input approaches a certain value. However, if the equation is in a simpler form, it may not be necessary.

5. Are there any specific techniques for finding the limit of a trig equation?

Apart from differentiation and L'Hopital's rule, there are no specific techniques for finding the limit of a trigonometric equation. However, understanding the properties and graphs of trigonometric functions can help in simplifying the calculation.