Finding magnitude and x-coordinate of the third charge

In summary, the problem involves a three-charge system in static equilibrium with charges q and 4q at x=0 and x=L, respectively. The magnitude of the third charge is unknown and must be solved for using equations involving the forces between the charges, F = Kq_0q_1/r^2 and K = 8.99 * 10^9 N m^2/C^2. The x-coordinate of the third charge is also unknown and must be solved for algebraically using the given information and equations.
jheld

Homework Statement

Two point charges q and 4q are at x=0 and x=L, respectively, and free to move. A third charge is placed so that the entire three-charge system is in static equilibrium.

What is the magnitude of the third charge?
answer in multiple(s) of q

What is the x-coordinate of the third charge?
answer in multiple of L

Homework Equations

F = Kq_0q_1/r^2
K = 8.99 * 10^9 N m^2/C^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already completed this problem, months ago. But, I am going through all of the homework and making sure that I can perform them well. The problem is, algebraically I am unable to come up with the correct answer. I keep getting myself stuck trying to find what I need to find.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the forces on each charge assuming a 3rd charge of unknown magnitude exists at 'x'. Each charge will feel 2 forces exerted on it, so the sum of the forces needs to be 0.

I recommend drawing a picture with the force vectors.

Well I understand that. The problem is finding 'x'. If 1st on 2nd charge distance is L - x. I just get confused with all of the algebra, and thus can't solve either problem.

First solve for the 2 forces on the first charge 'q'. You can calculate the force on it from the 2nd charge '4q' easily. Be sure to get the direction of this force. Now you will want a 3rd charge to apply an equal force but in the opposite direction. So you will have to unknowns: Q = charge of 3rd charge, and x = distance of 3rd charge.

Now you have 1 equation and 2 unknowns.

So you do the same for the 2nd charge, and you will have 2 equations and 2 unknowns. That is enough to solve those 2 unknown values.

What is the formula for finding the magnitude and x-coordinate of the third charge?

The formula for finding the magnitude and x-coordinate of the third charge is: M = (Q1 + Q2) / (x - x1), where M is the magnitude of the third charge, Q1 and Q2 are the magnitudes of the first two charges, and x and x1 are the x-coordinates of the third charge and the first charge, respectively.

How do I determine the direction of the third charge's x-coordinate?

The direction of the third charge's x-coordinate can be determined by the signs of the first two charges. If both charges are positive or negative, the third charge will have the same direction as the first two charges. If one charge is positive and the other is negative, the third charge will have the opposite direction.

Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and x-coordinate of the third charge?

No, the Pythagorean theorem cannot be used to find the magnitude and x-coordinate of the third charge. This is because the Pythagorean theorem only applies to right triangles, and the situation of finding the magnitude and x-coordinate of the third charge does not necessarily involve right triangles.

Do I need to know the y-coordinate of the third charge to find its magnitude and x-coordinate?

No, the y-coordinate of the third charge is not needed to find its magnitude and x-coordinate. The formula only requires the x-coordinates of the third charge and the first charge, as well as the magnitudes of all three charges.

What is the unit of measurement for the magnitude and x-coordinate of the third charge?

The unit of measurement for the magnitude of the third charge will be the same as the unit of measurement for the magnitudes of the first two charges. The unit of measurement for the x-coordinate of the third charge will be the same as the unit of measurement for the x-coordinates of the first two charges.