1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Magnitude of Velocity with Variables

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Romeo tosses a pebble at Juliet's window. Before crashing through the window the pebble is moving horizontally, having traveled a horizontal distance x and a vertical distance y. Find the magnitude and direction of the pebble's velocity as it leaves Romeo's hand.

2. Relevant equations
    I know that Vx=VCosA and Vy=SinA.
    Also, t=VSinA/g

3. The attempt at a solution
    The attempts are pretty much any relevent equations I can find. There's no real math, except I know that the initial Vy is 0. I also figured if the projectile was graphed it would be the right side of the vertex of the parabola. This is why t=VSinA/g. I do not know where to go from here though. I was thinking of using y=VsinA*t-.5g(t)^2. but I really don't know
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2007 #2

Gold Member

You know this -

time to hit window, t = x/Vx where Vx is the x velocity

Vy = gt, because Vy=0 at time t ( the sign may be wrong here, Vy is in the opposite direction to g)

y = 1/2 gt^2, distance traveled vertically in time t.

Some manipulation should give what you're looking for.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  4. May 7, 2008 #3
    I don't understand this. How can we figure out what t is. I do understand that y = .5gt^2. Just not the rest of it. Any help here would be appreciated!
  5. May 8, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Hi RedRumriots,

Why do you think the Vy=0 initially? You do know that Vy is zero right before the stone hits the window; what does that tell you about that point of the trajectory?

If Vy=0 initially, then this stone would never move upwards.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?