Velocity from an elastic collision

In summary: This corresponds exactly to the velocity outcomes as shown in the mark scheme.In summary, the answer to the question is that after an elastic collision between two bodies of equal mass on a smooth horizontal surface, the velocity of the moving body will be 0 and the velocity of the stationary body will be equal to the initial velocity of the moving body. This can be determined through the conservation of both momentum and kinetic energy.
Millie Baker

Homework Statement

A body X moving with a velocity v makes an elastic collision with a stationary body Y of equal mass on a smooth horizontal surface. Which statement gives the velocities of the two bodies after the collision? (multiple choice question)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer according to the mark scheme is
velocity of X = 0
velocity of Y = v
So I can't understand how this is worked out. But this as far as I got:

MUx+MUy = MVx + MVy
Ux +Uy = Vx +Vy
Ux = Vx + Vy

How do you know that Vx is 0 and Vy is V (or Ux)?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've used the conservation of momentum which is true for all collisions. Since the question specifies that it's an elastic collision, you know that kinetic energy will be conserved. Try including that in your equations.

triso said:
You've used the conservation of momentum which is true for all collisions. Since the question specifies that it's an elastic collision, you know that kinetic energy will be conserved. Try including that in your equations.
Thank you, I understand now!

When you have conservation of both energy and momentum the two equations combined produce this neat result: the relative velocity reverses. I.e. v1f-v2f=v2i-v1i. See "Newton's Experimental Law" for a generalised version.

This is another instance in which we can illuminate the problem by examining the equal and opposite transfer of momentum in an elastic collision.

Δp = 2μΔv where μ is the reduced mass [ m1 * m2 / (m1 + m2) ] of the colliding objects and Δv is their relative velocity. So in this case we determine:

Δp = 2 m^2 v / (2m) = mv. Thus momentum of moving body will be mv - Δp = 0 and momentum of stationary body will be 0 + Δp = mv.

1. What is velocity from an elastic collision?

Velocity from an elastic collision refers to the speed at which two objects move away from each other after colliding and bouncing off each other without any loss of energy.

2. How is velocity from an elastic collision calculated?

The velocity from an elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy formulas. The equation is v = (m1u1 + m2u2)/(m1 + m2), where v is the final velocity, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and u1 and u2 are their initial velocities.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system remains constant before and after the collision, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost due to deformation or heat. Inelastic collisions also result in a lower final velocity compared to elastic collisions.

4. Can the velocity from an elastic collision be greater than the initial velocities?

No, the velocity from an elastic collision cannot be greater than the initial velocities. According to the conservation of energy, the total kinetic energy of the system must remain constant, so the final velocity cannot exceed the initial velocities of the objects.

5. How does the mass of the objects affect the velocity from an elastic collision?

The mass of the objects affects the velocity from an elastic collision by determining the ratio of the initial velocities. The object with a smaller mass will have a higher initial velocity, and therefore a higher final velocity after the collision. However, the total kinetic energy of the system remains constant regardless of the masses of the objects.