Projectile Motion of Pebbles: Solving for Initial Velocity and Impact Velocity

In summary, Romeo is standing at the edge of a rose garden 4.5m below Juliet's window and 5.0m from the base of the wall. He is tossing pebbles at her window with only a horizontal component to their velocity. The final vertical velocity is 0m/s and the acceleration is -9.8m/s^2. The vertical displacement is 4.5m. To determine the time of flight, one can use the formula t = (vfy - voy)/a, or t = 2d/-9.8 if initial velocity is unknown. To find the velocity with which the pebble hits the window, one can use the formula v = d/t. The magnitude of the
tica86
Romeo is tossing pebbles at Juliet's window and wants the pebbles to hit the window gently, with only a horizontal component to their velocity, as they hit the window.

He is standing at the edge of a rose garden 4.5m below her window and 5.0m from the base of the wall.

--------I know that final vertical velocity=0m/s
---------acceleration = -9.8
---------vertical displacement= 4.5m

My attempt:

1) What is the y component of the initial velocity of the pebble as it leaves romeo's hand?

Do I use, vi = sqrt(2ay)
where a=-9.8 but how do I find y?

2)How long does the pebble take from the time it leaves Romeo's hand to hit the window?

Do I use t = vi/g, but first I need to find #1 to solve for time

For questions 3-5 I really have no idea how to solve

3)What is the velocity with which the pebble hits the window?

4)Find the magnitude of the velocity with which Romeo tosses the pebble up?

5)Find the angle at which Romeo launches the pebbles?

I have been trying to solve it for the last couple of hours and I don't get it, I would appreciate any help, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Given an initial velocity [itex]V_{iy}[/tex] and assuming that the projectile, if unobstructed, will land some horizontal distance away at the same vertical height that it was launched, how would you determine the time of flight?

zgozvrm said:
Given an initial velocity [itex]V_{iy}[/tex] and assuming that the projectile, if unobstructed, will land some horizontal distance away at the same vertical height that it was launched, how would you determine the time of flight?

If I don't have initial velocity I can't solve for time

tica86 said:
If I don't have initial velocity I can't solve for time

But if you did, how would you do it? What is the formula?

zgozvrm said:
But if you did, how would you do it? What is the formula?

Could I use t=2d/-9.8? so 2(4.5)/-9.8

tica86 said:

Wait, that's not right...

tica86 said:

It's t = (vfy - voy) /a correct?

Not quite. Consider the equation

[tex]D_y = V_{oy}t - 4.9t^2[/tex]

If a projectile was fired from ground level and returned to ground level, what would the vertical displacement be? Then, using the equation, how much time would that take?

zgozvrm said:
Not quite. Consider the equation

[tex]D_y = V_{oy}t - 4.9t^2[/tex]

If a projectile was fired from ground level and returned to ground level, what would the vertical displacement be? Then, using the equation, how much time would that take?

1) what is the y component:
Is it Vv0=0+2(-9.8)(4.5) square root =9.39?
Is acceleration negative?

2) Time:
4.5=.5(9.8)t^2
4.5/4.9
t^2=sq. root=.958seconds??

3) What is the velocity in which the pebbles hit the window?

v=d/t
v=5.0m/.958=5.21m/s??

4) What are the resultant of the 2 components of Vo??

Looks good so far, keep going...

zgozvrm said:
Looks good so far, keep going...

So for #1 is acceleration negative??

4) Is it,
9.39^2+5.21^2=115.31, square root= 10.7m/s

is that the magnitude?

Last edited:
tica86 said:

4) Is it,
9.39^2+5.21^2=115.31, square root= 10.7m/s

is that the magnitude?

Yes, and yes

tica86 said:

The stone is being thrown upward, which is thought to be in a positive direction on the y-axis. However, the effect of gravity is slowing it down, therefore it is decelerating, or accelerating in a negative direction. (If the acceleration were positive, the stone's velocity would increase as it continued its upward flight).

zgozvrm said:
The stone is being thrown upward, which is thought to be in a positive direction on the y-axis. However, the effect of gravity is slowing it down, therefore it is decelerating, or accelerating in a negative direction. (If the acceleration were positive, the stone's velocity would increase as it continued its upward flight).

Ok, thanks for your help! :)

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, typically due to the force of gravity. It is characterized by a curved path known as a parabola.

How does projectile motion apply to pebbles?

Pebbles, like any other object, follow the laws of projectile motion when thrown or launched into the air. They will follow a parabolic path as they move through the air and eventually fall back to the ground due to the force of gravity.

What factors affect the trajectory of a pebble in projectile motion?

The trajectory of a pebble in projectile motion is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors determine the shape and distance of the parabolic path the pebble will follow.

How can we calculate the range of a pebble in projectile motion?

The range of a pebble in projectile motion can be calculated using the formula R = (v^2 * sin(2θ))/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What are some real-world applications of projectile motion of pebbles?

Projectile motion of pebbles has many real-world applications, such as understanding the trajectory of thrown or launched objects, predicting the motion of objects in sports like baseball or golf, and calculating the range of projectiles in military operations.