Finding mass of fat on a chicken by volume and density

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
03cobra 87gn
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


This was a lab we did in class 2 day we took the measured the weight of a chicken in the air and in water. Than found the masses and mass of h20 displaced and the volume displaced

Mass chicken in air = 1.489 kg
Mass chicken in h20 = .112 kg

Mass h20 displaced = 1.377 kg
Volume h20 displaced = 1.377E –3 m3




Homework Equations


1. Mass fat + Mass rest of chicken (else) = 1.489 kg
2. Volume fat + V else = 1.377E –3 m3
3. density Fat = 900 kg/m3 = Mass fat/ V fat
4. density else = 100 kg/m3 = Mass else/V else



The Attempt at a Solution



So I assume this is a substitution prob. I need to sub. V fat= Mass fat/ 900kg/m3
into one of the equations.

So what I did so far was

Mass fat /900kg/m3 + Mass else/1100kg/m3 = 1.377E –3 m3

Mass fat/ 900kg/m3= 1.377E –3 m3 – Mass else/1100kg/m3

Mass fat= 900kg/m3(1.377E –3 m3 – Mass else/1100kg/m3)

Mass fat= 1.2393kg – 99E4 Mass else is this wrong so far?

Any help would be great we just did the lab today and its due Friday and I need the calcs done to do the report, thanks
-Tim
 
Physics news on Phys.org