1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Mass of part of a block that explodes.

1. Oct 29, 2009 #1
    1.In Fig. 9-59, a stationary block explodes into two pieces L and R that slide across a frictionless floor and then into regions with friction, where they stop. Piece L, with a mass of 2.5 kg, encounters a coefficient of kinetic friction μL = 0.44 and slides to a stop in distance dL = 0.28 m. Piece R encounters a coefficient of kinetic friction μR = 0.43 and slides to a stop in distance dR = 0.30 m. What was the mass of the block?

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c09/fig09_57.gif

2. v2=v02+2*a*x-x0
    momentum=m*v

3. I really have no idea where to start on this one, can someone give me a place to go from. somehow i tried to us this
    sqrt(mew*g*d*2) to get the velocity for the block on the left, then plugged that into the sum of momentum equation, however when i turned it in i got it wrong

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2009 #2
    do you know the equation for the force of friction relating mass & u?

you know about the conservation of momentum I presume, so if it's stationary at first it has a momentum of 0, so after the collision what must the momentum of the others be equal to?

when you've got this grounded I would consider the equations of motions, with the initial velocity of the block being v, you should have a constant deceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook