Finding moment of inertia for a right circular cone

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
jforce93
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the moment of inertia of a right circular cone of radius r and height h and mass m


Homework Equations



I = ∫r2 dm
V = 1/3*π*r2*h

The Attempt at a Solution


Assume density is p

dm = p dv
divide both sides by dr
dm/dr = p dv/dr

dm/dr = p (d/dr * 1/3*π * r2*h)
so
dm/dr = p(2/3)*πrh
so:
dm = (2/3)pπrh dr

Sub that into the moment of inertia equation

∫(2/3)pπrh dr = I

I = (1/3) pπr2h
p = m/v
I = (1/3)(m/v)πr2h
I = v*(m/v)
I = m

What am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Set the problem up as a double integral problem. Lay the problem out with the cone's longitudinal axis being the x-axis. Use a ring for your dV.

If you need more hints, let me know.
 
You forgot the factor of r2 multiplying dm. What you found was [itex]\int dm[/itex], which unsurprisingly turns out to equal the mass of the cone.

About what axis are you supposed to be calculating the moment of inertia?