Moment of inertia of a copper wire loop from density and cross-sectional area

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
anr91
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I eventually have to solve for maximum angular acceleration of the loop in a magnetic field, and I have gotten everything with the exception of the moment of inertia, so I won't include the emf and B known variables.
Known: a copper wire with a density of [itex]\rho[/itex] = 8960 kg/m3 is formed into a circular loop of radius 0.50 m. Cross sectional area of the wire is 1.00 x 10-5m2.


Homework Equations


I=MR2
(and eventually) [itex]\tau[/itex] = [itex]\alpha[/itex]I



The Attempt at a Solution


I know since mass isn't given, I need to integrate something so I can use the density. However, it's been a really long time since I've integrated, so I'm not very familar with it. I've been unable to find an equation to find the volume of the 'loop,' so I know integration is the only way.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


No integration required. A loop is just a cylinder bent into a circle. Imagine bending the loop back into a "normal" cylinder, and find the volume of that object. (If you don't remember the formula for the volume if a cylinder, it is easy to find).
 


You can approximate the loop as a circle (line) because the cross section is much smaller than the radius.
 


Yes, I forgot to add that part. But first, OP needs to find the mass, which requires finding the volume.

Once that is done you would forget about the finite width and simply use I = MR2