Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding n and p of semiconductor given temp, NA, ND, and Ni

1. Jun 28, 2016 #1
    I'm doing independent study on semiconductors to prepare for a future class and I'm having problems with some problems that concern finding the n and p of doped Silicon given only a temperature, NA, ND, and Ni. I understand that n*p=Ni^2, but, given that this means that n does not equal ND (and p does not equal NA) I cannot find what equations to use for the solution. I would greatly appreciate any help understanding how this works. Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2016 #2

analogdesign

Science Advisor

n*p = Ni^2 only works for an intrinsic semiconductor. Once the semiconductor is doped, you need to take Na and Nd (the acceptor and donor concentrations) into account. A very clear webpage that explains the equations you need is: http://ecee.colorado.edu/~bart/book/extrinsi.htm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted