Finding n and p of semiconductor given temp, NA, ND, and Ni

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's difficulties with solving problems related to finding the n and p values of doped Silicon using temperature, NA, ND, and Ni. The conversation also mentions the equation n*p = Ni^2, which only works for intrinsic semiconductors. When the semiconductor is doped, the acceptor and donor concentrations, Na and Nd, must be taken into account. The conversation recommends a webpage that explains the necessary equations for solving these problems.
campeola46
I'm doing independent study on semiconductors to prepare for a future class and I'm having problems with some problems that concern finding the n and p of doped Silicon given only a temperature, NA, ND, and Ni. I understand that n*p=Ni^2, but, given that this means that n does not equal ND (and p does not equal NA) I cannot find what equations to use for the solution. I would greatly appreciate any help understanding how this works. Thank you in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
n*p = Ni^2 only works for an intrinsic semiconductor. Once the semiconductor is doped, you need to take Na and Nd (the acceptor and donor concentrations) into account. A very clear webpage that explains the equations you need is: http://ecee.colorado.edu/~bart/book/extrinsi.htm

What is the significance of finding the values of n and p in a semiconductor?

The values of n and p represent the concentrations of electrons and holes in a semiconductor, respectively. These concentrations determine the conductivity and other important properties of the material.

How do I calculate n and p given temperature, NA, ND, and Ni?

The values of n and p can be calculated using the following equations:n = (ND - NA + √( (ND - NA)^2 + 4Ni^2 )) / 2p = (NA - ND + √( (NA - ND)^2 + 4Ni^2 )) / 2where NA and ND are the concentrations of acceptor and donor impurities, Ni is the intrinsic carrier concentration, and √ represents the square root function.

What is the intrinsic carrier concentration and how is it related to n and p?

The intrinsic carrier concentration, Ni, is the concentration of electrons and holes that exist in a pure, undoped semiconductor at thermal equilibrium. It is related to the values of n and p through the equation:Ni = n * pAt thermal equilibrium, the product of n and p is equal to Ni.

What is the effect of temperature on the values of n and p?

The values of n and p are directly proportional to temperature. As temperature increases, the number of thermally generated electron-hole pairs also increases, resulting in higher values of n and p.

What is the impact of doping concentrations NA and ND on the values of n and p?

The values of n and p are indirectly proportional to the doping concentrations NA and ND. Higher doping concentrations lead to a higher number of impurities in the semiconductor, reducing the number of available electrons and holes and thus resulting in lower values of n and p.