1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Object Distance and Image Distance

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

More mirrors. Object O stands on the central axis of a spherical or plane mirror. For this situation (Table 34-4 below. All distances are in centimeters.) , find (a) the type of mirror (0 depicts "plane", 1 - "concave", 2 - "convex"), (b) the radius of curvature r (nonzero number or 0 if infinity), (c) the object distance p, (d) the image distance i.

f= -42
    m= +0.26

(a) 2
    (b) -84
    (c)
    (d)

3. The attempt at a solution

So I'm stuck mainly because the focal length (f) is negative. I think since f is less than m the mirror is convex. Would I still solve for p the same way?

p= (1 - (1/m))*f
    so
    p= 199.538 cm

and then equals
    i = -mp
    i = -51.8799

Am I right?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are ways to check your answer to problems like this, which is to see if your solution satisfies the necessary equations.

So: is it true that
    1/p + 1/i = 1/f​
    or in other words, that
    1/199.5 + 1/(-51.9) = 1/(-42)?​

p.s. you're correct that a negative f means that the mirror is convex, and you solve using the usual formula that relates p, i, and f.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook