Finding percentage and absolute uncertainties

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a question that involves calculating the Young's modulus using the formula (Force/Area)/(Extension/Load). The conversation also mentions the concept of relative error and the formula for calculating it. It is suggested that if the error in one factor is negligible, the relative error in the overall calculation will be the same. Additionally, it is mentioned that if the error in one factor cannot be ignored, the errors should be added in quadrature. Finally, it is suggested to calculate the extreme values of the extension to determine the possible values of the modulus.
haha0p1
Homework Statement
Find the percentage and absolute uncertainities in the young modulus if the uncertainty in the extension is ±1 mm.
Relevant Equations
Young modulus= Stress ÷ Strain
the answers to other parts of the question:

a, 2.0×10-⁷
b, 40 N
c, O.O5
d, 4×10⁹Pa
I Really don't understand how to solve the e part
I Know that Young modulus= (Force÷Area)÷(Extension÷Load)
kindly guide how to solve this question.
IMG_20230113_115541.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
This is somewhat undetermined, because you have no information on the uncertainty of the other factors. My guess is that you are supposed to ignore them.

The simplest form (even simpler than this) says
relative error in product or quotient due to one of the factors is equal to relative error in that factor. So if ##f = A B## and A has an relative error of 0.2 and B has a relative error of negligible magnitude, then the relative error in ##f## is also 0.2

idem if ##f=A/B##.

If the error in ##B## can not be ignored (and is independent of the error in A) then the errors should be added in quadrature (see the link).

Does this help ?

##\ ##

If you have not been taught the formulae @BvU quotes, an obvious way is to calculate the extreme values that the extension might really be and see what values those would give for the modulus.

Likes pbuk

1. What is the difference between percentage and absolute uncertainties?

The percentage uncertainty is the relative uncertainty expressed as a percentage of the measured value, while the absolute uncertainty is the actual numerical value of the uncertainty.

2. How do you calculate percentage uncertainty?

To calculate percentage uncertainty, divide the absolute uncertainty by the measured value and multiply by 100.

3. What is the purpose of finding percentage and absolute uncertainties?

Finding percentage and absolute uncertainties allows us to understand the range of possible values for a measurement and to determine the reliability and accuracy of our data.

4. Can percentage uncertainty be negative?

No, percentage uncertainty cannot be negative as it is a measure of the relative uncertainty and cannot have a negative value.

5. How can I reduce the uncertainty in my measurements?

The best way to reduce uncertainty in measurements is to use more precise instruments, take multiple measurements, and carefully control and minimize sources of error in the experiment.