1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding points on a curve where the tangent slope = 6

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the x values of the points on the curve f(x) = (x^3) + (3x^2) + 3x + 6 where the tangent has a slope equal to m = 6

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This question was on an online quiz for my into calculus course... can't seem to wrap my head around it.

I differentiated:
    f'(x) = 3(x^2) + 6x + 3

Set it equal to 6:

3(x^2) + 6x + 3 = 6

Then attempted to factor and solve for x, in different ways:

3(x^2) + 3x + 3x + 3 = 6
    3x(x+1) + 3(x+1) = 6
    (3x+3)(x+1) = 6
    3x+3=6
    x=(6-3)/3
    x=1
    x+1=6
    x=5

I also tried:
    3(x^2) + 6x + 3 = 6
    3((x^2) + 2x + 1) = 6
    3(x+1)(x+1) = 6
    (x+1)(x+1) = 6/3
    x+1 = 2
    x = 1

Needless to say I got the problem wrong... the correct answers were given: -1 + sqrt(2), and -1 - sqrt(2).

I would appreciate any kind of help or pointers... I just can't seem to get this straight. What am I missing??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2009 #2
    I have no idea what you are doing with that factoring! You can only factor when one side is set equal to zero. (Remember we can solve by factoring because ab=0 implies that a=0 or b=0 ... but ab=6 will NOT imply a=6 or b=6!)

You have:

6 = 3x^2 +6x +3

Set it equal to zero, like this:

0 = 3x^2 +6x - 3

But this will not factor... so, use the quadratic formula.

4. Oct 31, 2009 #3
    Thank you, I honestly had no idea what I was doing either. Appreciate the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook