1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding points on root-locus by hand

1. Aug 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1.PNG

2.PNG

I am trying to answer two questions:

1. Solve part (b) in the image above by hand.

2. What are the differences between transfer function (a) and transfer function (b).

2. Relevant equations
    cos(Im(s) / Re(s)) = ζ

3. The attempt at a solution

1. For part one given the damp I know that cos-1(ζ) = 45. Thus the magnitude of the real and imaginary parts of the root has to be the same. However I can't seem to think of a way to do this by hand. I can plot the root locus in Matlab.

Once I find the root locus I know I can find K by using:
    [tex]K = \frac{|denominator \quad of \quad tf|}{|numerator \quad of \quad tf|} [/tex]

2. The transfer functions are [tex]K = \frac{KGH}{1+KGH} [/tex] and [tex]K = \frac{KG}{1+KGH} [/tex] . Besides a different output response would the root locus and bode plots of the both transfer functions be the same?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2016 #2
    The only solution I could think of is using the angle condition:

The phase should all add up to 180 degrees + a multiple of 360:
    SInce the damping results in a 45 degree angle, the real and imaginary parts of s are the same. Thus:
    [tex]s = -x + xj [/tex]

I can then apply the angle criterion by getting the phase of each pole:
    [tex]\sum\angle(zeroes) - \sum\angle(poles) = 180 \pm 360*n[/tex]
    [tex]-2*tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{-x+2})-tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{-x+4})-tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{-x+1}) = 180[/tex]

I had to brute force and solve this in my calculator and got x = 2.203. I had to then try setting the equation equal to -180 as opposed to 180:
    [tex]-2*tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{-x+2})-tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{-x+4})-tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{-x+1}) = -180[/tex]
    and got x = .907672 which is the right answer.

Is there a better way to do this without numerically solving it?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted