Control Systems - Root Locus with proportional control

In summary, the conversation discussed solving a root locus diagram using the quadratic equation and finding the gain at which the rise time is 1 second. The use of MATLAB for a root locus plot was also mentioned, with a reminder to understand the material for tests and not just copy the graph. It was then discovered that creating a transfer function using G and C can help match it up to the characteristic equation for 2nd order systems and solve accordingly. This was verified using MATLAB.
xopher

Homework Statement

Atr2KvVl.jpg

Homework Equations

See below

The Attempt at a Solution

Root Locus? Easy Peasy right? Based on provided equation G(s), i solved the coordinates of the root locus diagram using quadratic equation.

For the 2nd part of the question, i have to find gain at which rise time is 1 second. With previous sample questions, we would use s^2 + 2zWs + W^2 for the 2nd order denominator to finish the question based on given parameters (ie dampening ratio, percentage overshoot etc). How do i deal with the numerator?
OGN6znIl.jpg

F73jmPTl.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot remember root locus at all. sorry

that being said MATLAB will do a root locus plot for you
you can use that to check your work. I haven't done root locus by hand since I was required too in school.

note: Make sure you understand the material for your tests. for now only use MATLAB as a tool to help you check your answer. Do not just copy the graph to a piece of paper.

http://www.mathworks.com/help/control/ref/rlocus.html

I actually just figured it out!. If you create a transfer function using G and C, you can easily match it up to the characteristic equation for 2nd order systems and solve accordingly. I double checked this on MATLAB so i know its the correct approach.

1. What is a control system?

A control system is a system that is designed to regulate or control the behavior of a dynamic system. It is composed of components such as sensors, actuators, controllers, and feedback loops to monitor and adjust the output of the system in order to achieve a desired response.

2. What is root locus?

Root locus is a graphical representation of the roots (or poles) of the characteristic equation of a closed-loop control system. It shows the locations of the closed-loop poles as a function of a specific parameter, such as the gain of a proportional controller. This allows for the analysis of the stability and performance of the system.

3. How does proportional control affect root locus?

Proportional control is a type of feedback control that adjusts the output of a system based on the difference between the desired and actual outputs. It is represented by a single gain parameter in the control system. In root locus analysis, the proportional gain affects the location of the closed-loop poles, and therefore, the stability and performance of the system.

4. What are the advantages of using root locus with proportional control?

Root locus with proportional control allows for a visual representation of the behavior of the closed-loop system. It can help identify the stability and performance of the system, as well as determine the optimal value for the proportional gain in order to achieve a desired response. Additionally, it can be used to design controllers for more complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using root locus with proportional control?

Root locus with proportional control assumes that the system is linear and time-invariant, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. Additionally, it only considers the effect of the proportional gain and does not take into account other control parameters or external disturbances. It should be used as a tool for analysis and design, but not as the sole method for control system design.