1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding postion, velocity and accelration as functions of time (SHM)

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1.00-kg glider attached to a spring with a force constant 16.0 N/m oscillates on a frictionless, horizontal air track. At t = 0, the glider is released from rest at x = -2.50 cm (that is, the spring is compressed by 2.50 cm).

Find the position, velocity, and acceleration as functions of time. (Where position is in m, velocity is in m/s, acceleration is in m/s2, and t is in s. Use the following as necessary: t.)

2. Relevant equations

x(t)=Acos(ωt+ φ)

v(t)= dx/dt

a(t)=d^2x/dt^2

ω=√(k/m)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the answer is x(t)= .025cos(4t+π) (then taking the derivatives respectively). What I can't figure out however is why φ=π. I thought if the particle is at its maximum position (x=A) at t=0, φ=0?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're right that if t=0 and φ=0, the oscillator starts at x=A. The amplitude A is a positive number. Perhaps that's the bit of info you're missing. In this problem, you know the oscillator starts at the other extreme, x=-A, where A = 0.025 m.

4. Sep 5, 2011 #3
    I copied the question word for word. It was the third question in the problem however. It asked me to find the period and the maximum velocity and acceleration. But I don't see how that would matter in the third question.

5. Sep 5, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I have no idea what you're asking.

6. Sep 5, 2011 #5
    I'm asking why φ=π in this question when I thought it should be zero because of the given information.

7. Sep 5, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

My first thought, seeing a "glider" and a spring was that the glider was being lauched into the air by the spring! But that clearly is not the case- your "glider" is simply a mass attached to the spring so that it is pushed out and pulled back by the spring. Since the spring has spring constant 16 N/m, the force, at distance x from the neutral point is -16x Newton's. That is, you have [itex]mdx^2/dt^2= -16x[/itex] or [itex]dx^2/dt^2= -16x/m[/itex] which is just [itex]dx^2/dt^2= -16x[/itex] since the mass is 1 kg. The fact that the glider is " released from rest at x = -2.50 cm" means that x(0)= -0.0250 (because the spring constant is given in Newtons per meter, you want x in meters)and dx/dt(0)= 0.

Since you apparently are given "x(t)=Acos(ωt+ φ)", just replace x in each of dx/dt= -16x, x(0)= -2.5, dx/dt(0)= 0. You will get three equations to solve for the three parameters, A, ω, and φ.

(The condition [itex]d^2x/dt^2= -16x[/itex] must be true for all x. Comparing the right and left sides will tell you what ω is.)

8. Sep 5, 2011 #7

At first they asked me to find the period of this glider, so to find ω I just did 2π/T

9. Sep 5, 2011 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I explained that earlier. When t=0, you get x(0) = A cos φ where x(0) = -0.025 m and A = +0.025 m. Solve for φ.

10. Sep 5, 2011 #9
    Oh! i see it now. You'll get -1=cosφ making φ=π

Thank you and sorry for overlooking what you told me I overlooked :uhh:

11. Sep 5, 2011 #10

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Take advantage of the trig identity cos(θ + π) = -cos(θ).

In this problem you want the initial displacement to be -A at time t = 0. By adding π to the argument of the cosine function you accomplish changing the sign.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook