1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Practical Resonance (Need help with my setup)

1. Dec 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is for my diffeq project and this is the last part of the question.
    We know that the R=2 and C=0.001. We are given the equation:
    Q''+(R/L)Q'+(1/LC)Q=(117/L)sin(120*pi*t)
    We want to find the value of L such that we maximize the amplitude of the steady state solution.

I have uploaded a document with my set-up so far and I appreciate any help at all!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Instead of carrying the variables through all of your calculations, why don't you substitute in the values for R and C that you have? It would probably make your calculations easier.

4. Dec 3, 2014 #3
    Oh ya. I eventually did that. But i realized that since my external force is a sin function. I can't be equate that.

Instead, I should differentiate A^2 + B^2 such that the differentiation of that is zero. That would then give me the maximum amplitude.
    Would that be correct?

5. Dec 3, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I see a couple of mistakes.
    1. In your general solution the exponential terms should have t in the exponent.
    2. In your particular solution, you have a factor of t0. Did you mean t0. Either way, why is it present?

In the original diff. equation, it seems like it would be easier to multiply through by L, rather than carry it along in all the denominators.

In the OP, you have
    What is your steady state solution? What is your transient solution? The general solution has a transient part (with the exponential terms) and a steady state part (caused by the forcing function).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted