1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding pressure P of air held in between two columns of Mercury

1. Nov 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    image.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    P=hρg

3. The attempt at a solution
    The length of mercury column ...
    (1) on the left side (exposed to atmosphere) would be ( 760 + x/2 )mm
    (2) on the right side (exposed to atmosphere) would be ( 760 + (50-y)/2 )mm
    (3) on the left (exposed to air at pressure P) would be ( 760 -x/2) mm
    (4) on the right (exposed to air at pressure P) would be ( 760- (50-y)/2 ) mm

By equating (1)=(2) or (3)=(4) ,
    x=50-y
    A and D are out as x and y does not satisfy this equation.

I chose B as (by assuming from the diagram) x is shorter than y, but I do not know how to calculate the Air pressure P.. Any hints? Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2015 #2
    The results you obtained under items 1 and 2 are both correct expressions for the pressure P (although the factor of 2 in the denominator should not be in there. Where did that come from?). The results you obtained under items 3 and 4 make no sense to me.
    So,

P = 760 + x

and

P = 760 + (50-y)

So which combination of values is consistent with these two equations?

4. Nov 2, 2015 #3
    Oh I see.. B.
    Oh I thought that the column (1) exposed to air would increase by x/2, and column (2) exposed to air pressure would decrease by x/2. But I guess it's wrong.
    Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted