1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding probability given joint pdf.

1. Nov 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let X1 X2 X3 be independent and identically distributed random variables with common pdf f(x) = e^-x 0<x<infinity, zero elsewhere.

Evaluate P(X1 < X2|X1 < 2X2) and P(X1 < X2 < X3|X3 < 1).

3. The attempt at a solution

Would appreciate any hints as to where to start...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2009 #2
    I haven't actually studied any statistics so there might be an easier way of doing this but this is how I'd do it...

Having a conditional probability means that you essentially have a 100% probability for the condition, that is

[tex] \int_{x_1 < 2x_2} dx_1 dx_2 f(x_1, x_2) = 1 [/tex]

This gives you the probability density given the condition that x_1 < 2 x_2. You can then use that to find the probability that x_1 < x_2.

4. Nov 25, 2009 #3
    But I don't think the problem is saying X1 < 2X2 I think the phrasing was X2|X1 < 2X2. Am I thinking about it wrong?

5. Nov 26, 2009 #4
    The first problem reads out as "probability that x_1 < x_2, given that you already know that x_1 < 2x_2". The 2nd problem is "probability that x_1 < x_2 < x_3, given that you know that x_3 < 1". Atleast that is what this notation means as far as I know. :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook