1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find this particular probability?

1. Feb 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose there are three statistically i.i.d continuous random variables X1, X2, X3 each are uniformly distributed in the range [0,1]. How to find the probability P(X1+X2<X3)?

2. Relevant equations
    The below given equations are the steps to the solution. But I can't figure out how the limits of integral comes this way.

[itex] \int_0^1 \int_0^{x_3}\int_0^{x_3-x_2} \,dx_1\,dx_2\,dx_3 =\int_0^1 \int_0^{x_3} (x_3-x_2) dx_2\,dx_3 = \int_0^1 x_3^2 - \frac{x_3^2}{2}\,dx_3 = \frac16 = 0.1\overline 6[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried this using a software called MATLAB by generating three pseudo random variables (1000 samples) and finding X1+X2−X3 and plotting its CDF through a MATLAB tool called dfittool. I got the answer around 0.169. But how do I do this theoretically? Especially how to figure out the limits in those integrals?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your questions make no sense: you have already obtained the answer theoretically, and you have already written the limits of integration.

4. Feb 25, 2014 #3
    @Ray Vickson : Yes I have got those limits from someone else, but never told how they come?

5. Feb 25, 2014 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

They come from two different concerns, that x1+x2<x3 and that each xi must be between 0 and 1. Those integration limits represent the intersection of those concerns.

6. Feb 25, 2014 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are told that the three variables all lie in [0, 1]. The limits on the outer integral, with respect to [itex]x_3[/itex] must be constants so must be 0 and 1. The next inner integral can have limits depending on [itex]x_3[/itex]. Since we have [itex]x_1+ x_2< x_3[/itex] and [itex]x_1[/itex] can be 0, [itex]x_2[/itex] can go from 0 to [itex]x_3[/itex]. Finally, [itex]x_1+ x_2< x_3[/itex] means that [itex]x_1< x_3- x_2[/itex] so the inmost integral has limits of 0 to [itex]x_3- x_2[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted