1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Q(point charge) with an angle, mass, and radii only

1. Apr 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    To find the amount of static charge on the balls using coulomb's law and the concepts of equilibrium.

r = 3.3 cm
    m1 = .085g
    m2 = .085g
    [tex]\vartheta[/tex] = 9.4[tex]\circ[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

F = K(q1)(q2)\r2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I legitimately have no clue how to do this other than the fact that r = 9.4...
    Any tips/help will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2010 #2
    If you could post the actual question it would be helpful. You simply can't solve that with the information you provided.

4. Apr 29, 2010 #3
    Sorry...but it's a lab so we don't have an actual question and we apparently have all the data we need. to solve for q.

We have a hint that states, "Remember the key to solving the lab lies in figuring out the x and y vectors."

I'm assuming parts of the vector is composed of gravity, tension, and the electric field which separated the balls from each other.

5. Apr 29, 2010 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Let me guess: this lab involves hanging two balls side by side from a common pivot point, and measuring the angle that the strings make at the pivot. Yes? If so, start by drawing a free-body diagram for one ball, then writing out Newton's second law for both x and y directions.

6. Apr 29, 2010 #5
    Yeah, that is exactly the lab we did. Thank you very much! I love this forum now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook