Finding Quartic Roots Without Knowing One Factor

• Thread starter BloodyFrozen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, there are methods to finding the roots of quartics besides Ferrari's formula. One method involves finding "nice" quadratic factors using a system of equations. However, not all quartics will have "nice" factors and in those cases, other methods must be used to find the roots.
BloodyFrozen
Is there a method to finding the roots of quartics besides Ferrari's formula?

I have the equation

[tex]x^{4}+5x^{2}+4x+5=0[/tex]

I know one of the factor is something like $$x^{2}+x+1$$ and the other one can be found using sythetic division, but how can I find the factors without knowing one of them in the first place?

Thanks.

My bad about the title. It's supposed to be Quartics instead of uartics.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If the quartic has "nice" quadratic factors, then they will be of the form:

[tex]x^4+5x^2+4x+5\equiv (x^2+ax\pm 1)(x^2+bx\pm 5)[/tex]

Can you see why this is true? If we expand the right-hand side, we just need to compare coefficients to find the values of a and b and then we should be able to determine the nature of the [itex]\pm[/itex] operator.

Mentallic said:
If the quartic has "nice" quadratic factors, then they will be of the form:

[tex]x^4+5x^2+4x+5\equiv (x^2+ax\pm 1)(x^2+bx\pm 5)[/tex]

Can you see why this is true? If we expand the right-hand side, we just need to compare coefficients to find the values of a and b and then we should be able to determine the nature of the [itex]\pm[/itex] operator.

Oh, I see, but how do we know when the factors are "nice"?

BloodyFrozen said:
Oh, I see, but how do we know when the factors are "nice"?

We don't. We can always check to see if they are, just like we check to see if there are any rational roots.

With the quartic [itex]x^4+5x^2+4x+5[/itex] we end up solving a system of equations for a,b that works out nicely, but if we changed the quartic around to say, [itex]x^4+6x^2+4x+5[/itex] then we find no solutions for a,b in the system of equations.

Ok, thanks!

Ah, I believe I've seen this before. The method is nice, but it seems a little lengthy. Thanks for the link :smile:

Mentallic said:
We don't. We can always check to see if they are, just like we check to see if there are any rational roots.

With the quartic [itex]x^4+5x^2+4x+5[/itex] we end up solving a system of equations for a,b that works out nicely, but if we changed the quartic around to say, [itex]x^4+6x^2+4x+5[/itex] then we find no solutions for a,b in the system of equations.

I end up getting two systems but one of them has no solution. Did I proceed correctly?

BloodyFrozen said:
I end up getting two systems but one of them has no solution. Did I proceed correctly?

I don't know, what did you get?

Sorry for not having LATEX since I'm on my phone, but I got:

System 1:

a+b=0
5+1+ab=5
5a+b=4

System 2:

a+b=0
-5-1+ab=5
-5a-b=4

BloodyFrozen said:
Sorry for not having LATEX since I'm on my phone, but I got:

System 1:

a+b=0
5+1+ab=5
5a+b=4
Right, so simplifying this system, we have

a+b=0
ab=-1
5a+b=4

Which we can then deduce,
a=-b
therefore,
a2=1 -> a=[itex]\pm1[/itex]
4a=4 -> a=1, b=-1
BloodyFrozen said:
System 2:

a+b=0
-5-1+ab=5
-5a-b=4
For this system we have no real solution, so what does that tell you?

For the second system, I don't get any solutions. Therefore, that can't be the right system.

BloodyFrozen said:
For the second system, I don't get any solutions. Therefore, that can't be the right system.

Exactly, so what must your factors be?

Ah, that's what I thought. Thanks!

1. How can quartic roots be found without knowing one factor?

One method is to use the Rational Root Theorem to find potential rational roots, and then use synthetic division to test each potential root until the correct one is found. Another method is to use the Quadratic Formula to find the roots of a quadratic equation, and then use those roots to find the quartic roots.

2. What is the Rational Root Theorem?

The Rational Root Theorem states that if a polynomial equation has integer coefficients, then any rational root must be of the form p/q, where p is a factor of the constant term and q is a factor of the leading coefficient.

3. Can quartic roots be found using the Quadratic Formula?

Yes, quartic roots can be found using the Quadratic Formula if the quartic equation can be factored into two quadratic equations. The roots of the quadratic equations can then be used to find the quartic roots.

4. What is synthetic division?

Synthetic division is a method used to divide a polynomial by a linear factor. It is a simplified version of long division and is often used to test potential roots of a polynomial equation.

5. Are there any limitations to finding quartic roots without knowing one factor?

Yes, there are limitations to this method. It only works for quartic equations with integer coefficients, and it can only find rational roots. If the equation has irrational or complex roots, this method will not be able to find them.