1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding radius a of non-conducting spherical shell

1. Jun 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A non-conducting spherical shell is uniformly charged.
    The electrostatic potential [itex]\phi[/itex] at the centre of the sphere is [itex]\phi[/itex]1 = 200V
    The potential at distance r = 50cm from the centre is [itex]\phi[/itex]2 = 40V
    Find the radius of sphere: a

2. Relevant equations

I seem to have missed this lecture.

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that the potential (V) is a function of r (distance from centre) and satisfies:

V(0) = 200V
    V(50) = 40V
    V(a) = 0V

I've been reading up on this, but I can't seem to make sense out of this question. I can't seem to find a case for non conducting spherical shell. Would someone mind providing me a formula and clear steps to solve this problem?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "non-conducting" just means that you don't have to worry about the charge moving! Yes, V is a function of r- more specifically it is [itex]C/r^2[/itex].

So you have [itex]C/r^2= 200[/itex] and [itex]C/(r- 40)^2= 40[/itex], two equations you can solve for C and r.

Since you really only want to solve for r, I would recommending dividing one equation by another to eliminate C.

4. Jun 13, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply!!! I understand how to do the question now. is C just some constant? Or is it charge (Q)?

Not that it matters in this question but I'm certain I need to know this for other stuff.

Thanks again!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook