Finding radius a of non-conducting spherical shell

In summary, the problem involves a non-conducting spherical shell with a uniform charge and given electrostatic potentials at different distances from the centre. The goal is to find the radius of the sphere. The equations involved are V(0) = 200V, V(50) = 40V, and V(a) = 0V, where V is a function of r and satisfies C/r^2 = 200 and C/(r-40)^2 = 40. By eliminating C, the radius of the sphere can be solved for.
Ryomega

Homework Statement

A non-conducting spherical shell is uniformly charged.
The electrostatic potential [itex]\phi[/itex] at the centre of the sphere is [itex]\phi[/itex]1 = 200V
The potential at distance r = 50cm from the centre is [itex]\phi[/itex]2 = 40V
Find the radius of sphere: a

Homework Equations

I seem to have missed this lecture.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the potential (V) is a function of r (distance from centre) and satisfies:

V(0) = 200V
V(50) = 40V
V(a) = 0V

I've been reading up on this, but I can't seem to make sense out of this question. I can't seem to find a case for non conducting spherical shell. Would someone mind providing me a formula and clear steps to solve this problem?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The "non-conducting" just means that you don't have to worry about the charge moving! Yes, V is a function of r- more specifically it is [itex]C/r^2[/itex].

So you have [itex]C/r^2= 200[/itex] and [itex]C/(r- 40)^2= 40[/itex], two equations you can solve for C and r.

Since you really only want to solve for r, I would recommending dividing one equation by another to eliminate C.

Thanks for the quick reply! I understand how to do the question now. is C just some constant? Or is it charge (Q)?

Not that it matters in this question but I'm certain I need to know this for other stuff.

Thanks again!

1. How do you calculate the radius of a non-conducting spherical shell?

The formula for calculating the radius of a non-conducting spherical shell is r = q/4πε0V, where r is the radius, q is the charge on the shell, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and V is the potential difference between the inner and outer surfaces of the shell.

2. What is a non-conducting spherical shell?

A non-conducting spherical shell is a hollow spherical object made of a material that does not allow the flow of electric charge. This means that the charges on the outer surface of the shell do not distribute themselves evenly, and the electric field inside the shell is zero.

3. Can the radius of a non-conducting spherical shell be negative?

No, the radius of a non-conducting spherical shell cannot be negative. Since the shell is a physical object, it must have a positive length. The formula for calculating the radius will always yield a positive value.

4. How does the charge on a non-conducting spherical shell affect its radius?

The charge on a non-conducting spherical shell directly affects its radius. As the charge increases, the radius also increases. This is because the electric field strength increases with the charge, causing the potential difference to increase, and therefore, the radius to increase as well.

5. What is the significance of finding the radius of a non-conducting spherical shell?

Finding the radius of a non-conducting spherical shell is important in understanding the electric field and potential inside the shell. It also helps in predicting the behavior of the charges on the shell and their interaction with external electric fields. This knowledge is essential in many areas of science and technology, such as in the design of capacitors and electromagnetic shielding.