1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple rate of change problem?

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Function S(t) = 6t(t+1) describes the distance (in kilometers) that a car has traveled after a time t ( in hours), t E [0,6]

Find the average velocity of the car from t= 2 to t= 2 + ∆t

2. Relevant equations

y'= f(x+h) - f(x)
    ------------
    h

3. The attempt at a solution

I know from the power rule that the derivative of this function is 12t + 6
    however when I try to use the rate of change formula I get 6t+ 20

Here is my work

s(t)' = s(2 + ∆t) - s(2)
    ----------------
    ∆t
    =6(2+∆t)(∆t+2+1) - 36
    ---------------------
    ∆t
    = (12+ 6∆t)(∆t+3) -36
    --------------------
    ∆t
    = 12∆t + 36 + 6∆t^2 + 18t - 36
    ------------------------------
    ∆t
    =6∆t^2 + 30t
    ------------
    ∆t

= 6t + 30

So where did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You didn't do anything wrong except for some typos and you changed Δt into t. You should get 6Δt+30. To compare that with the derivative you need to let Δt->0. So the derivative S'(2) should come out to 30. If you put t=2 into the derivative you computed, 12t+6, you'll get the same number.

4. Feb 16, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

S(t) = 6*t^2 + 6*t, so the instantaneous velocity is v(t) = dS(t)/dt = 12*t + 6, and for small Δt > 0 that will also be the average velocity over [t,t+Δt]. For t = 2 this gives average_velocity = 24 + 6 = 30 (km/hr). Your error was in writing 12Δt + 18Δt as 12Δt + 18t.

5. Feb 16, 2013 #4
    oh okay I see, for some reason I thought using the first principle and finding Y' would give me the derivative, however, it just gives me the rate of change. Thanks for helping!

6. Feb 16, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. You can get the derivative from what you did by replacing 2 with t, working through the algebra again and then taking the limit as Δt->0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook