Can You Find a Number n with Rational Square Roots for n-7, n, and n+7?

In summary, the conversation discusses a puzzle where the goal is to find a number n that satisfies the condition that the numbers n-7, n, and n+7 all have rational square roots. The book provides the solution n = 113569/14400 and the person discussing the puzzle has tried to find a solution using equations and unknowns but is unsure of how to proceed. A possible strategy is suggested involving setting n=(p/q)^2 and using the conditions to create equations similar to those for Pythagorean triples.
musicgold
Hi,

I am struggling with this puzzle from a book.

Puzzle : Can you find a number n such that, the numbers n-7, n, and n+7 have rational square roots (can be expressed as integers or fractions)?
According to the book one of the solutions is n =113569 /14400

This is what I have done so far:

Let p, q, r be the square roots of n-7, n, and n+7, respectively.

(n-7) * n * (n+7) = p^2 * q^2 * r^2

n^3 -49n = p^2 * q^2 * r^2

As I have 4 unknowns and only one equation, I do not know how to proceed from here. What should I do?

Thanks.

Cross posted at:
http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2370848

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest setting n=(p/q)^2 with p,q relatively prime.

Then if (p^2/q^2) - 7 = a^2/b^2, what can you say about b? Then you work the other condition on n+7 similarly and then you will end up with 2 equations, both of which look quite similar to the equation for Pythagorean triples. I didn't finish the problem, so I can't guarantee this line of reasoning.

Last edited:

1. What is a rational square root?

A rational square root is a number that, when squared, produces a rational number. In other words, it is a number that can be expressed as a fraction of two integers.

2. How do I find the rational square root of a number?

The most common method for finding the rational square root of a number is by using long division or the square root algorithm. This involves breaking down the number into its prime factors and simplifying to find the square root.

3. Can all numbers have a rational square root?

No, not all numbers have a rational square root. Numbers that are perfect squares, such as 4, 9, and 16, have rational square roots. However, numbers that are not perfect squares, such as 2, 3, and 5, do not have rational square roots and are called irrational numbers.

4. Why is finding rational square roots important?

Finding rational square roots is important in many fields, including mathematics, engineering, and science. It allows us to simplify complicated calculations and make them more manageable. It also helps us understand the relationships between numbers and their square roots.

5. Are there any shortcuts for finding rational square roots?

Yes, there are some shortcuts for finding rational square roots. For example, if the number ends in 0, 1, 4, 5, 6, or 9, you can use a simple method to find the square root. Additionally, memorizing the square roots of common numbers can also be helpful in quickly finding rational square roots.