Circuit (equivalent resistance)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equivalent resistance of a circuit and how to simplify it by identifying series and parallel connections. The concept of potential is also mentioned as an aid in simplification.
triforce

Homework Statement

Find the equivalent resistance
Aib5Oqj.jpg

Homework Equations

Req(series) = R1 + R2...
Req(parallel)=(1/R1+1/R2...)^-1

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having problems understanding how to simplify this circuit.
There should be parallel and series "loops" to simplify but I'm having trouble seeing them.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
triforce said:
I'm having problems understanding how to simplify this circuit.
There should be parallel and series "loops" to simplify but I'm having trouble seeing them.
Mark the junctions where potential is a . Consider a random voltage V , which is the potential in between the 2Ω and 3Ω resistors .

Now draw a fresh diagram , now marking a , b and V , and connecting resistors between the three appropriately . This should help in simplifying the circuit , making it easy to see the series and parallel connections .

Hope this helps .

Updated the image with the resistors numerated in red.

Do you have to consider potential?

Yes , the potential is what I mentioned in my previous post .

What i know is that potential stays the same across parallel sections and is summed up in series.

How does that help me if i can't distinguish which one is in parallel or in series?

Would you mind to explain a little further please, I'm kind of new to this.

Look at the bottom end of R2...imagine sliding it to the left and around the corner.

1. What is equivalent resistance in a circuit?

Equivalent resistance is the total resistance in a circuit, which is a measure of how much the circuit resists the flow of electric current. It is a combination of all the resistances in the circuit, and is represented by the symbol "Req".

2. How do you calculate equivalent resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, equivalent resistance is calculated by simply adding all the individual resistances together. This is because the current in a series circuit has to pass through each resistor, so the total resistance is the sum of all the resistances.

3. How do you calculate equivalent resistance in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, equivalent resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... , where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances. This is because in a parallel circuit, the current splits up and the total resistance decreases.

4. How does the number of resistors affect the equivalent resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, adding more resistors will increase the equivalent resistance. This is because the current has to pass through each resistor, and each resistor adds to the total resistance.

5. How does the number of resistors affect the equivalent resistance in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, adding more resistors will decrease the equivalent resistance. This is because the current splits up and each resistor has less current passing through it, resulting in a lower total resistance.