Finding resultant acceleration of a sailboat and tension in a wire

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
bigslowy
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
These problems are really giving me fits, I would really appreciate some help.

A 12200 kg sailboat experiences an eastward
force of 27400 N due to tide pushing its hull
while the wind pushes the sails with a force of
56200 N directed toward the northwest (45±
westward of North or 45± northward ofWest).
What is the magnitude of the resultant ac-
celeration of the sailboat?



I'm using Fr= square root of (Frx squared)+(Fry squared) but I'm still not getting it right. I'm thinking that maybe I drew the free body diagram wrong. Any help?

Now for this one

The distance between two telephone poles is
32 m. When a 1:15 kg bird lands on the
telephone wire midway between the poles, the
wire sags 0:182 m.
The acceleration of gravity is 9:8 m=s2 :
How much tension in the wire does the
bird produce? Ignore the weight of the wire.

So far I've drawn the diagram and got a hypotenuse of 16.001 m, but I'm unsure how to finish the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Find the magnitude using the cosine law.
2. use F=ma to find the magnitude of a.
It is easier to use the unit vector i and j. but i am afraid you haven't learned that yet. so we will approach it geometrically.
 
Attachments
  • Picture.GIF
    Picture.GIF
    1.9 KB · Views: 615
First problem (sail boat)

check the attachment

Fx = F(east) - F(northwest)Xcos45 = -12339 N
Fy = F(northwest)Xsin45 = 39739 N
Fnet = Squareroot of (Fx^2 + Fy^2)
then, Fnet = ma
a = Fnet/mass = 3.4 m/s
 
Attachments
  • sailboat problem.JPG
    sailboat problem.JPG
    3 KB · Views: 591
2nd problem

ok the hyp that you got is good.
a^2 + b^2 = c^2
a= 16
b = .182
c = 16.001 using the formula. Good you got until this point.

2nd step= get the angle theta. (see diagram)

90-tan (16/.182) = theta


step 3 = Get the tension by adding the Forces on the y axes. See diagram
 
Attachments
  • 2nd problem.JPG
    2nd problem.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 535
Free body diagram : Attached file.
 
Attachments
  • Picture.GIF
    Picture.GIF
    2.3 KB · Views: 628
of course, I didn't draw the other tension on the other side because is understood.