1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Roots of Polynomials in C

1. May 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show the the equation f(z) = z^4 + iz^2 + 2 = 0 has two roots with |z|=1 and two roots with |z|=sqrt(2), without actually solving the equation.

2. Relevant equations
    Rouche's theorem, the argument principle?

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is what I have done so far: First show that no solutions lie outside of the circle |z|=sqrt(2). This is true because if we suppose there was a solution, say p, then 0 = |p^4 + ip^2 + 2| >= |p|^4 - |p|^2 - 2 > 0 since |p| > sqrt(2). This contradiction implies that all solutions must lie inside of the disk |z| <= sqrt(2). After this, I wanted to show that f(z) has only two solutions INSIDE the circle |z|=sqrt(2), which would imply that two solutions must exist ON the circle. I tried to use Rouche's theorem, but I could not get the strict inequality to hold in any case. Then I realized that in the statement of the theorem, we require that no zeros or poles lie on the circle, so I could not use Rouche's theorem anyway. Okay, now we can also show that no solutions exist inside the unit circle in exactly the same way as for outside of |z|=sqrt(2). Suppose there was a solution, say q. Then 0 = |q^4 + iq^2 + 2| >= 2 - |q|^4 - |q|^2 > 0 since |q| < 1. Hence, all solutions must lie on the set {z : 1 <= |z| <= sqrt(2)}. This is where I am stuck. I am not sure how to show that solutions cannot exist somewhere in between. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I should be using some theorem in this part, because for the parts I have done, I have only used some basic properties of the absolute value. Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2009 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can start by completing the square - you don't have to solve for z, but could do for something else.

4. May 2, 2009 #3
    What if it factors as (z^2 + a)(z^2 + b)? Then ab = 2 and a + b = i. Find a and b. Go from there.

5. May 2, 2009 #4
    Oh I got it. Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook