1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding specific heat of an object graphically

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Samples A and B are at different initial temperatures when they are placed in a thermally isolated container and allowed to come to thermal equilibrium. Figure a gives their temperatures T versus time t. Sample A has a mass of 5.2 kg; sample B has a mass of 1.6 kg. Figure b is a general plot about the material of sample B. It shows the temperature change T that the material undergoes when energy is transferred to it as heat Q. The change T is plotted versus the energy Q per unit mass of the material.

3. The attempt at a solution

The heat gained by object b must equal the total heat of object a. So Qb=Qa=Q/mb*mb, mb=mass of object b.

but Q=mcΔt ==> c=Q/mΔt would Δt then just be the total change from 100 to 60 degrees?

this would give me 25600/(5.2*60)=82.05 which is incorrect. Where Am I going wrong?

Thanks for the help

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2011 #2
    I think it is better to replace the underlined by 'heat lost by'.

4. Oct 21, 2011 #3
    I think that you mean that [itex]\Delta[/itex]T is the change from 100 to 40, i.e. 60deg because we are considering A.

5. Oct 21, 2011 #4
    Can the poster explain what the above mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook