Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding System Solutions of the system Ax=0; A being a matrix

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find all solutions of the system Ax=0
    where A = the 3x3 matrix

[1 3 2]
    [2 6 9]
    [2 8 8]

2. Relevant equations

not really sure what equations to include

3. The attempt at a solution

wasnt positive how to go about answering this question because im not sure what its asking for...

i turned "x" into a 3x1 matrix consisting of x1, x2 and x3 and tried to solve the system of equations...

1x1 + 3x2 + 2x3 = 0
    2x1 + 6x2 + 9x3 = 0
    2x1 + 8x2 + 9x3 = 0

after trying to solve this as a linear system of equations problem, i ended getting that each value (x1, x2, x3) was equal to 0... is this anywhere close to a correct approach to this problem? Thanks for any help you have to offer :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2
    Yes, since this matrix is indeed invertible.

4. Jan 28, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Do you know about row operations for reducing a matrix? If you do, using them to reduce your matrix would be simpler than solving three equations in three unknowns.

5. Jan 28, 2010 #4
    My class learned about row operations today but I didn't think to apply them because I began this problem yesterday...

Thanks for your advice :biggrin:

6. Jan 29, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

If A is invertible, then the only solution to Ax= 0 is x= 0.

7. Jan 29, 2010 #6

radou

Homework Helper

This is a linear system of equation which is equivalent to the matrix representation of the problem. And yes, your solution is correct, as far as I checked.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook