1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding tangent lines, y-intercepts, x-intercepts, etc. with a given equation

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f(x)= a (7-x^2) for all a does not equal 0
    a) Find, in terms of a, the equations of the lines tangent to these curves at x=-1
    b) Find, in terms of a, the y-intercepts of the tangent lines at x=-1
    c) find the x-intercepts of the tangent lines at x=-1
    d)find, in terms of a, the area enclosed by the graph of f(x), the tangent line at x=-1, and the y-axis

2. Relevant equations
    None? How to find a derivative?

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I finished part a and i got y=2ax +8a
    I got the derivative (-2ax) which was also the slope then i just plugged -1 into the original equation and I got 6a. Using the point slope equation, i got y = 2ax +8a, which i know is right. I don't understand b,c, or d so any help would be great! Thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I hope that you are drawing a sketch of your function. Actually, two sketches would be better - one that assumes a positive value for a, and another that assumes a negative value for a. Both sketches should show a parabola, with one opening up and the other opening down.

On each sketch, draw a tangent line at the point (-1, y). You have the derivative function, so you should be able to get the slope of the tangent line(s). You also have the y value on each graph, so you should be able to get the equation of the tangent line(s). Once you have the tangent line equation(s), it should be a simple matter to find the y-intercept(s) of the tangent line(s). That's part b.

For part c, use the tangent line equation(s) to determine where they cross the x-axis.

Once you get parts b and c, we can talk about part d.

4. Jan 5, 2012 #3
    Thanks! I got x=-4 for part c and now i'm down to part D. I think I'm supposed to set the original equal to the equation and solve in terms of a, but from that i'm getting a value for a. Do i plug that value, along with x=-1 into the original to find the area?

5. Jan 5, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I haven't worked this problem, but I don't believe you should get a numeric value for part c. The expression you end up with should involve a, I believe.

I have no idea what you're saying here. I'm looking for a single word that would indicate you're at least thinking in the right direction, and I don't see it.

How do you normally find the area of some region?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook