Finding Tension and Acceleration on Frictionless Surfaces

In summary, the system consists of three masses (100g, 200g, and 200g) attached to a frictionless surface with a string and pulley system. The tensions in the string are equal on both sides of the pulley and can be solved for using the equations Fnet = ma. The masses can be labeled and free body diagrams can be drawn to solve for the tensions and acceleration of the system.
m.piet

Homework Statement

For the following system 1) Find the tension in the string
2) find the acceleration of each of the masses

The diagram of the system looks like this

...O-----|200g|-----O
...|.\___|____|___/.|
__|__....__|__ ( . ) are placeholders to make the diagram look accurate
|100g|...|200g|

Basically a mass of 200g on a frictionless surface attached to 2 other masses (100g and 200g) hanging over the edge of the surface with a string on frictionless pulleys. String has no mass and can not expand. Gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

The attempt at a solution
First off I converted all my masses to Kg
I have numbered each mass from left to right from 1-3 and have drawn free body diagrams for them. These are the equations I got for each

1)
Fnet = ma
Fnet = T-Fg
Fg= mg
ma = T-Fg
(0.1)a = T-0.98
So: T = 0.1a + 0.98
a = (T- 0.98) / 0.1

2)
Fnet = ma
Fnet = T1 - T2 (T1 and T2 are the tensions to the 1st and 3rd masses, respectively)
T1 - T2 = ma
T1 - T2 = 0.2a

3)
Fnet = ma
Fnet = T-Fg
Fg = mg
ma= T-Fg
0.2a = T-1.96
So: T = 0.2a + 1.96
a = (T-1.96) / 0.2

I am stuck at whether the mass that is on the surface will even matter to the acceleration and tension of the system because the surface is frictionless so would that mean I could solve as if there is no mass there? Or would I have to isolate the system into 2 systems, 1,2 and 2,3, then solve for each tension and acceleration and go from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing OK except for a couple of things. You should first note that tensions in ideal strings wrapped around ideal pulleys are the same on both sides of the pulley. So what you call T in your FBD of mass 1, you should call T1; and what you call T in your FBD of mass 3 you should call T2. Secondly, be consistent with your plus and minus signs; since you have assumed that the lighter hanging mass is moving upward, then mass 3 must be moving downward, and mass 2 must be moving to the right. Then just solve the 3 equations for the 3 unknowns T1, T2, and a.

As a scientist, your approach to this problem is correct. The mass on the surface will not affect the tension and acceleration of the system since it is on a frictionless surface. You can solve for the tensions and accelerations of each mass separately, without considering the mass on the surface. However, isolating the system into two systems (1,2 and 2,3) and solving for each tension and acceleration will also give you the correct answer. Ultimately, it depends on your preferred approach and what information you have available. Both methods will yield the same results.

1. How do you find tension on a frictionless surface?

To find tension on a frictionless surface, you can use Newton's Second Law, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). In a frictionless system, the only forces acting on an object are the net force and the tension force, so you can set up an equation with these two forces and solve for the tension.

2. What factors affect the tension on a frictionless surface?

The tension on a frictionless surface is affected by the mass of the object and its acceleration. The greater the mass of the object, the greater the force needed to accelerate it, resulting in a higher tension. Similarly, a larger acceleration will require a greater force and therefore a higher tension.

3. How do you find acceleration on a frictionless surface?

To find acceleration on a frictionless surface, you can use Newton's Second Law again. In a frictionless system, the only force acting on an object is the net force, so you can set up an equation with this force and solve for the acceleration (a=F/m).

4. Can you have tension on a frictionless surface?

Yes, you can have tension on a frictionless surface. Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting on either end. In a frictionless system, tension is often the only force acting on an object.

5. How does the presence of friction affect the tension and acceleration on surfaces?

The presence of friction affects the tension and acceleration on surfaces by adding an additional force that opposes the motion of an object. This means that more force is needed to accelerate an object, resulting in a higher tension and potentially a lower acceleration. Additionally, friction can also cause the tension force to be distributed unevenly along the surface, leading to variations in acceleration.