1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding tension using vectors, very complicated

1. Sep 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I really have no idea where to start on this problem, if someone could point me in the right direction, i would appreciate it. I figure if i can figure out the first problem solving for the next one should be easy.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/265697/IMG_0002.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2011 #2
    I can't really read the problem, but usually when you do problems like this, you use the fact that the hanging thing is in equlibrium. That is, the forces in all directions cancel out. I'll see if I can read it better when I get to my home computer.

4. Sep 27, 2011 #3
    yea it takes a while to load, Yea its in static equilibirum so your right the forces should all cancel each other out. but im not sure how to even approach the problem.

5. Sep 28, 2011 #4
    never post a link to an image with size of 5MB ......pleeaassse. reduce the size or just type
    the problem here

6. Sep 28, 2011 #5
    All right, i made it smaller and edited the format, hopefully should be easier for you guys :)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/265697/IMG_0002.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Sep 28, 2011 #6
    thats fine. now when it says 40 feet up, does it mean that pole's height is 40 feet ? is the situation three dimensional ? what would be the lengths of the three cables ?

8. Oct 1, 2011 #7
    yea thats what it means, and yes it is. That kinda got me started on the right track and I figured out number 4, however im stumped on 5. I know that you have to set the vector for T1 and T2 to zero and then set the vector for T3 to -175 but then I dont get how would you solve that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook