Finding the Tension of a Guy Wire Supporting a 100ft Tower

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 10K views
yazz912
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1392759383.391314.jpg


1. Given info ( with attached photo)
The guy wire supporting a 100ft tower has a tension of 550lbs. Use the distance shown in the figure write the component form of the vector F representing the tension of the wire.

2. My attempt at the solution
My first assumption was to make a vector using an initial and a terminal point. I used (75,-50,0) initial point and (0,0,100) as my terminal point.

The vector in component form would then be <-75,50,100>

Now I don't know what to do next with the given information of the tension force of 550pounds to find the tension of the wire?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
yazz912 said:
View attachment 66755

1. Given info ( with attached photo)
The guy wire supporting a 100ft tower has a tension of 550lbs. Use the distance shown in the figure write the component form of the vector F representing the tension of the wire.

2. My attempt at the solution
My first assumption was to make a vector using an initial and a terminal point. I used (75,-50,0) initial point and (0,0,100) as my terminal point.

The vector in component form would then be <-75,50,100>

Now I don't know what to do next with the given information of the tension force of 550pounds to find the tension of the wire?
Hello yazz912. Welcome to PF !

I see that you are new here. In the future, please make use of the template which is provided when you initiate a new thread. You'll get the hang of it.


Regarding your posted question:

What is the magnitude of the vector, <-75,50,100> ?
 
I apologize. I didn't see the template option when I was posting?( was using the mobile app if that makes a difference)

The magnitude would simplify to
= 25sqrt(29)
 
yazz912 said:
I apologize. I didn't see the template option when I was posting?( was using the mobile app if that makes a difference)
Yes, I think that may make a difference.

The magnitude would simplify to
= 25sqrt(29)

What must you multiply 25√(29) by to get 500 ?
 
Am I suppose to find out what to multiply by to get 500 or 550?( since 550 was the tension)

To answer your question, you must multiply by approx. 3.71 to get 500.
 
yazz912 said:
Am I suppose to find out what to multiply by to get 500 or 550?( since 550 was the tension)

To answer your question, you must multiply by approx. 3.71 to get 500.
Oh, that's a typo.

You need to get 550 .