Calculating Tension in a Horizontal Clothesline with Vectors

• Thread starter Mark Nussbaum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a horizontal clothesline with a mass of 3 kilograms tied to the middle. The question asks for the magnitude of tension on the ends of the clothesline. After calculating the necessary components and using the correct value for gravity, the correct answer was found.
Mark Nussbaum
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
For some reason I'm really struggling to get a correct answer on this problem

"A horizontal clothesline is tied between 2 poles, 20 meters apart.
When a mass of 3 kilograms is tied to the middle of the clothesline, it sags a distance of 4 meters.

What is the magnitude of the tension on the ends of the clothesline?"

Work:
Fg = 3kg*9.81m/s^2 = 29.43
found θ with arctan(4m/10m) = 21.8°
moving the origin onto the point on the forces I then used component tree to solve for the y-direction where
Ft*sin(21.8)+Ft*sin(21.8)-Fg=0,
and ignored x since they would cancel out.

the answer I got was Ft = 39.623N
when I work in reverse the magnitude gives me the correct #s and everything adds to 0.

It's been a long time since I've done this kind of physics so maybe I'm missing something dumb here. But I can't find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems fine to me. Why do you think there is a problem?

It is an online problem so it gives feedback and apparently this is an incorrect answer.

Some automated answer checkers will be very particular about what type of answers they accept. Minor things such as the number of decimals, the value of g that you use, or rounding errors can play a role in this.

Thanks I got it apparently I had to use exactly 9.8 for gravity.

1. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities in Calc III?

In Calc III, scalar quantities are those that have only magnitude (size or amount) and no direction, while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalar quantities include speed, temperature, and mass, while examples of vector quantities include velocity, force, and displacement.

2. How is tension related to vectors in Calc III?

In Calc III, tension is a vector quantity that represents the pulling force exerted by a string, rope, or cable on an object. It is always directed along the length of the string and away from the object it is attached to. Tension can be calculated using vector addition and trigonometric functions.

3. Can you find the magnitude and direction of tension in a system with multiple vectors?

Yes, in Calc III, the magnitude and direction of tension can be determined by breaking down the system into individual vectors and using vector addition and trigonometric functions to find the resultant vector. The magnitude of tension can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, while the direction can be found using inverse trigonometric functions.

4. How does changing the angle between two vectors affect the tension in a system?

In Calc III, the tension in a system can be affected by changing the angle between two vectors. When the angle between two vectors is increased, the tension also increases. On the other hand, when the angle between two vectors is decreased, the tension decreases. This is because the component of one vector in the direction of the other vector increases or decreases, influencing the magnitude of the resultant vector.

5. How is tension used in real-life applications?

Tension with vectors is used in various real-life applications, such as engineering and physics. For example, engineers use tension calculations to design structures like bridges and suspension cables. In physics, tension is used to analyze the forces acting on an object in motion, such as a ball attached to a string being swung in a circular motion. Tension is also important in understanding the behavior of materials, such as how much weight a rope can hold before breaking.