Finding the absolute error for equation of total resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving proving an equation for ΔRC. The equation for RC is provided in the attachments, along with the attempt at a solution. A mistake is found in the first attempt, where the transition to the second line is incorrect. A suggestion is made to find ΔR// on its own, which leads to a successful solution. The unjustified use of the ##\Rightarrow## symbol is also pointed out.
AdrianMachin

Homework Statement

Prove the equation for ΔRC. (See the first attachment with the circuit schematic inside)

Homework Equations

(The equation for RC, in both attachments)

The Attempt at a Solution

You can see my attempt at a solution in the second attachment. I'm stuck at the step shown in the picture. Maybe that needs a bit algebra, or my attempt was incorrect.

Attachments

• 111.png
    111.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 450
  • 222.png
    222.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
I already have difficulty with the first step: If ##R_C = R_{//} + R_3 ## then it certainly is not so that ##\log R_C = \log R_{//} + \log R_3 ## !
And then the ##\Rightarrow## is also unjustified.

I suggest you try to find ##\Delta R_{//}## on its own...

Likes AdrianMachin
ln(a+b) and ln(a) + ln(b) are not the same (first -> second line and also within the second line) and the result is wrong.

Likes AdrianMachin
BvU said:
I already have difficulty with the first step: If ##R_C = R_{//} + R_3 ## then it certainly is not so that ##\log R_C = \log R_{//} + \log R_3 ## !

I suggest you try to find ##\Delta R_{//}## on its own...
Thanks a lot, dear BvU! I tried your suggestion and it worked! :smile:
Yes, I had a big mistake in my first attempt as you mentioned.

What do you mean by this:
Is that because of my mistake in taking logarithms or it's generally not considered right to use in these equations?

Transition from first line in attachment to second line was in error.
The transition from before the ##\Rightarrow## to after was also in error, hence my remark.
$$\ln{R_1 R_2\over R_1+R_2} =\ln R_1+\ln R_2-\ln(R_1+R_2) $$

Likes AdrianMachin

What is the equation for total resistance?

The equation for total resistance is Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn, where R1, R2, R3, ..., Rn are the individual resistances in a circuit.

What is absolute error?

Absolute error is the difference between the actual or true value and the measured or estimated value of a quantity. It is expressed as a positive value and is used to quantify the accuracy of a measurement or calculation.

How do you find absolute error for the equation of total resistance?

To find the absolute error for the equation of total resistance, you need to calculate the individual absolute errors for each resistance and then add them together. The formula for absolute error is |actual value - estimated value|.

Why is finding absolute error important in scientific research?

Finding absolute error is important in scientific research because it helps to determine the accuracy and reliability of experimental data. It allows scientists to evaluate the potential sources of error and make adjustments to improve the precision of their measurements and calculations.

What factors can contribute to a larger absolute error in the equation of total resistance?

There are several factors that can contribute to a larger absolute error in the equation of total resistance. These include inaccurate or imprecise measurements, variations in the properties of the materials used, and errors in the data analysis process. It is important for scientists to minimize these factors in order to obtain more accurate results.