Calculating total resistance of a combination circuit

In summary: To solve this you would need to either use kirchhoffs laws or kirchhoffs laws with the delta y transform.Ah ok.
Ketchup4684
combination circuit.png

Homework Statement

Find the total resistance of the circuit

Homework Equations

Parallel resistance: 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., Series resistance: R1 + R2 + R3...

The Attempt at a Solution

The 1470 ohm resistor is parallel to the 50 ohm resistor and the 1000 ohm resistor, but there is a junction between them, which confuses me on how to add the 1470 ohm resistor to each of them... that probably didn't make sense but it's the best way I could word it. Once that is solved I know how to do the rest.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ketchup4684 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Parallel resistance: 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., Series resistance: R1 + R2 + R3...

The 1470 ohm resistor is parallel to the 50 ohm resistor and the 1000 ohm resistor, but there is a junction between them, which confuses me on how to add the 1470 ohm resistor to each of them... that probably didn't make sense but it's the best way I could word it. Once that is solved I know how to do the rest.
Try adding a picture.

Isaac0427 said:
Try adding a picture.
(facepalm) oops... there it is

None of the resistors are in series or in parallel with any other.

vela said:
None of the resistors are in series or in parallel with any other.
How would i go about adding up the resistances then?

Connect the combination to a voltage source V and calculate the current I it draws. The equivalent resistance is V/I.

vela said:
Connect the combination to a voltage source V and calculate the current I it draws. The equivalent resistance is V/I.
But to find the current that is drawn from the battery (6V) i need to know the total resistance of the circuit...

You're just going to have to write down equations using Kirchoff's laws and solve the resulting system of equations.

I would perform a Delta to Y transform on the 1470, 50, & 1000, which are currently in Delta (a triangle). See these for info on Delta-Y
http://ux.brookdalecc.edu/fac/engtech/andy/elec111/powerpoint/12_deltatowye.pdf and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-Δ_transform

vela said:
I would think that there is no point to this. You need the total resistance to calculate the current, then use I=V/R, and then go back to use R=V/I. That's just a lot of unnecessary extra steps that you would take after you find the total resistance.

To solve this you would need to either use kirchhoffs laws or kirchhoffs laws with the delta y transform.

Likes scottdave
Isaac0427 said:
I would think that there is no point to this. You need the total resistance to calculate the current, then use I=V/R, and then go back to use R=V/I. That's just a lot of unnecessary extra steps that you would take after you find the total resistance.

To solve this you would need to either use kirchhoffs laws or kirchhoffs laws with the delta y transform.
At first, I thought @vela was joking (like actually get a battery and some resistors.. Ha). But I think what was meant is to create a circuit on paper, then go through the loop analysis. Once you find the current delivered by the test voltage, then R = Vsource/Isource.

Isaac0427 said:
Really? There's no other way to find the current I? Like perhaps the way you mention below...

vela said:
Really? There's no other way to find the current I? Like perhaps the way you mention below...
Right, but to find the current that way wouldn't you have to find the total resistance first?

I can't help but feel you're trolling here.

Isaac0427 said:
Right, but to find the current that way wouldn't you have to find the total resistance first?
No. Solve the circuit, and you'll find all the currents even if you only really require one of them.

Likes Isaac0427
gneill said:
No. Solve the circuit, and you'll find all the currents even if you only really require one of them.
Ah ok.

Ketchup4684 said:
View attachment 203597

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

One method is the loop-equation method. Draw out the possible current loops for the circuit, write an equation for each loop, and then solve the simultaneous equations to find each loop current. The sum of these give you the total current for any given source voltage, and from that you can determine the total resistance of the circuit. Here's the circuit redrawn with the loop currents marked:
bridge.gif

Janus said:
Here's the circuit redrawn with the loop currents marked:

just out of personal curiosity for my learning

can you do that with just the three loops you have done or should it really be for all loops ?
as there is a 4th loop

davenn said:

can you do that with just the three loops you have done or should it really be for all loops ?
as there is a 4th loop
You'd find that only three of the loop equations are independent. The equations from the other loops would be linear combinations of the three.

davenn said:

as there is a 4th loop
Independent loops are needed, and there are three in this case. Assign current to each loops, so that there is one or two loop currents flowing through each resistor. If it is possible, the loops are separate. @davenn's construction is too complicated. See the next one:
upload_2017-5-18_6-25-8.png

The currents through the resistors are: I1, through 100Ω, I2, through 330Ω, I2-I1, through 220Ω, I2-I3, through 50Ω, and I3-I1, through 1000Ω. The generator current is I1. Anti-clockwise direction is positive. Write Kirchhoff's Loop Rule for each loops, that makes three equations for the three currents, eliminate I2 and I3, solve for I1. The total resistance is R=V/I1.

What is a combination circuit?

A combination circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both series and parallel components. This means that there are multiple pathways for the current to flow through the circuit.

What is total resistance?

Total resistance, also known as equivalent resistance, is the overall resistance of a combination circuit. It is the total opposition to the flow of current in the circuit.

How do you calculate total resistance in a combination circuit?

To calculate total resistance, you need to use Ohm's Law which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). In a combination circuit, you first need to calculate the individual resistances of each component and then use the correct formula depending on whether the components are in series or parallel.

What is the formula for calculating total resistance in a series combination circuit?

In a series combination circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all the individual resistances. This can be represented by the formula R(total) = R1 + R2 + R3 + ...

What is the formula for calculating total resistance in a parallel combination circuit?

In a parallel combination circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual resistance. This can be represented by the formula 1/R(total) = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...